Advanced search

mumsnet work

Find the perfect family friendly job

SAHM actively looking - found perfect post but full-time and I want part-time..what would you do?

(12 Posts)
smoggie Fri 18-Jul-08 19:42:43

I've been a SAHM for 2 years. I left a part-time post in a university (health research) after ds2. I'm now actively looking for part-time work in teh same field (or similar). A post has come up that is back in my old unit (albeit working for someone else) but it's advertised as full-time.
Do I
a) email the contact person who I know and enquire whether they would consider part time or 3/4 time hours?
b) just apply and attend and only discuss the possibility of reduced hours if I'm offered the post?

I'm inclined to do a) so that I'm up front and honest as I just think that I may annoy them if they do make a decision to appoint and I then raise the issue out of the blue....and potentially leave them in a fix if I deline the post if part-time not available (ha ha - I can dream eh?).
ANy thoughts would be greatly appreciated - or any advice from people in a similar position - what did you do and did it work?

ChippyMinton Fri 18-Jul-08 19:50:15

I've recently had the same dilemma and, fortunately, found someone willing to apply as a job-share with me. Do you know anyone who might consider this - former colleagues in a similar situation? We did check before applying that a job-share would be acceptable.

spicemonster Fri 18-Jul-08 20:03:10

I really don't know what the best thing to do is. What kind of part time are you looking for?

I and my ex colleague both worked 4 days a week in the company we worked in together. We both applied for other ft jobs and both said at the initial interviews that we only wanted to work 4 days. We got the jobs and are doing them 4 days (well I've agreed to do 5 for the first 3 months but that was a compromise I was happy with).

Another friend of mine did option b and then told them. I think they felt that she had them over a barrel - they'd gone through a long interview process - and I think things were a bit sour from the outset (although that's just my interpretation) and she didn't stay long in the job.

I think it's better to be honest in conclusion - if they really want you (and CM's solution is a good one if you only want to work 2-3 days), you will find a way between you to make it work.

LittleMyDancingForJoy Fri 18-Jul-08 20:12:23

I would apply for it, and mention you'd like part time at the second interview, or at the end of the first one if they're not going to do a second one.

That way, you get to sell yourself to them before you ask for part-time, and they're much more likely to consider it if they've already decided they like you.

If they offer you the job before you ask them (this happened to me!) then you can negotiate then - even if you turn it down in the end they'll have a second choice person in mind from the other interviewees, so you won't be leaving them in the lurch.

I did this, went to first interview, sold myself, thought there would be a second interview, but they phoned up and offered me the job right away. So I said 'oh, I was going to ask you about part time working' and we negotiated and came to an agreement. Worked out fine.

WilfSell Fri 18-Jul-08 20:16:38

If it's a continuing contract, I'd wait till they offer you the job, then ask - university HR first, since they will know how much they can play with the post. I think if you're a good qualified candidate they will take the request seriously.

If it's a contract post, you have much less chance because the research funding will specify the terms of the post but even so I think it will depend upon the competition for the job - if you're the best candidate by a long way, they are more likely to take you than readvertise I would think...

I'd still wait until they offer or at least second interview (there probably will only be one in a university). Lots of people turn down offers for lots of reasons and they will be used to it.

ilovemydog Fri 18-Jul-08 20:26:48

Could you possibly do your contract hours over a shorter span? For instance, contracted hours of 37, instead of 5 days a week, so 3.5, or stagger them?

As you know the people, could you ask unoffically?

smoggie Sat 19-Jul-08 08:14:54

Hmmm opinion seems to be undecided or erring towards waiting till offered the job.
Wilfsell - it's a fixed term post, but not a research post as I've previously had (where the work needs to be done to a specific timescale), it's a post for a research methodologist, so it's providing research advice/support and training. So, I'm just not sure if there's flexibility.
Will ponder some more, but probably I'll submit the application and mention at interview.
God it's so difficult.
Thaks for taking the time to reply.

ChippyMinton Sat 19-Jul-08 08:44:03

have a think about:
days you could work
what hours you could reasonably do
childcare arrangements
if you have a DP/DH could they reorganise their day to cover say, school drop-off?

More likely to be successful if you can show the employer how it could work, as a staring point for negotiation.

NorthernLurker Sat 19-Jul-08 08:48:34

I've got an application in at the moment for a full time post and I currently do an 80% week. My plan is to wait to see if I'm offered it and then see what can be negotiated. I will do full time if I have to - as I'm desperate to move on careerwise. I just feel I'll be in a stronger position if I wait till it's offered.

LittleMyDancingForJoy Sat 19-Jul-08 10:43:24

Good Luck smoggie - and NortherLurker! smile

titchy Mon 21-Jul-08 12:26:20

I'm in the same position - funny how many there are of us! I've just got back from an interview for a FT post and will wait to see if I'm offered then negotiate part time or flexible working.

The thing is I've spent almost a year looking for part time jobs which are reasonably senior and there has been one - which although I was shortlisted for I didn't get!

So plan b is to look for FT then negotiate.

Acinonyx Mon 21-Jul-08 21:18:49

I'll be applying for uni posts next year and want to go part-time. A friend of mine just got a post and told them at the interview that he only wanted to go 4 days/week (for childcare reasons). He said they seemed shocked - but he got the job. I think that's what I would do - at first or second interview (sometimes there's no second interview - just a presentation to the dept).

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, watch threads, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now »

Already registered? Log in with: