Talk

Advanced search

Return to work part time or become SAHM?

(3 Posts)
Ellierose1989 Sun 31-May-20 21:04:19

Hi everyone! Sorry if this is a long post I would just like you to share some of your experiences etc with me. I’m currently on maternity leave with my second child due back in July. I can go back part time 3 days a week. However, I am considering becoming a stay at home mum as my eldest is starting school this year and I would like to be around for her and my sons first years. How have you found it when you’ve come to look for work after being a SAHM? I work in customer services and do not have a degree etc. I’ve always worked since I was 14 though so this is very scary for me. Financially it will be a struggle, my husband works long hours but we have high outgoings (which I can’t get down any further). Should I just go back part time as it will give us some money for some treats etc? Does anyone work 3 days a week and feel this is a good balance!? Any help would be appreciated as you can probably tell I cannot seem to make up my mind! Thank you. X

OP’s posts: |
feelingsicknow Sun 31-May-20 21:12:39

No experience of this really as my LO is only 21 months but I felt so much better when I returned to work (4 days a week) after 12 months Mat leave and he started nursery 3 days a week - one day the grandparents have him (for free) and one day I have him.

After a few months we realised that we really needed my full time income so I went on to coMpressed hours (4 days) so I could still be with him one day but we had our usual income. It means long days where I never get home before bedtime although I do drop-off in the morning.

I would have preferred to stay part time but we also have high outgoings which can't be altered (my legacy debt) and I feel like shit a lot. And having another seems like a pipe dream.

But lockdown has taught us that we don't need to be afraid of having to entertain the little one in the house, on a budget.

Ellierose1989 Sun 31-May-20 22:06:38

Thanks for your reply. It’s hard isn’t it balancing time with our kids and needing the money! I went back to work 4 days a week after my first child but hoping 3 days will be better. Don’t feel like shit, you’re just doing what you have to do for your family. I’m sure your son enjoys his time at nursery/with family. X

OP’s posts: |

Join the discussion

To comment on this thread you need to create a Mumsnet account.

Join Mumsnet

Already have a Mumsnet account? Log in