Talk

Advanced search

Job interview today

(20 Posts)
FaerieDusting Wed 18-Jan-17 07:30:34

I haven't had an interview in a long while. I am absolutely bricking it. It's at lunch time.

Any tips or advice? Probably out myself here, but I have an appointment this morning to have the implant fitted. So that will hopefully distract me until my interview. But I've been told they make you wear a bandage? So will now have to rethink my interview outfit blush

SandysMam Wed 18-Jan-17 07:33:56

Take a deep breath and think before you speak. Try to speak slowly. Also, tell them at the end that you really want the job and would love to work for them. It's important to an employer that you actually want to be there! Good luck, try to think of it as just a practice for the next interview, take the pressure off!

ItsyBitsyBikini Wed 18-Jan-17 07:38:38

I don't think I had a bandage for the implant but even so, wear something long sleeved. Take a deep breath and don't get too worked up about it. Think carefully of your answers, some interviewers like a slight pause before an answer as it means you have really thought about what to say.
Good luck!

FaerieDusting Wed 18-Jan-17 07:41:08

It isn't a job I am fully qualified in. A friend works there and recommended me. It's something I can pick up quickly and learn on the fly. But I need to get that across in my interview. I also have young children which may go against me. But I know many single mothers who work full time hours and utilise childcare, so I'm hoping they will take my word when I say I have things in place to be able to do the hours offered.

Have only worked part time since having kids so this will be a massive change. But it's something I really want and it's a very good company.

CardiganWay Wed 18-Jan-17 07:45:18

Do some power posing in the loo just before you go in (basically adopt a superman pose or a victory pose - arms above your head in triumph - for a minute). Sounds crazy but there has been some research into its effectiveness.

Go into the room with a wide, warm, genuine smile. Introduce yourself, initiate the handshakes, and do them firmly and with eye contact. Accept a glass of water if they offer one.

Listen actively to the questions - nod and make the odd 'mmhmm' noise to show you understand. If you're confused, or if you need a moment, reflect back to them what you THINK they're asking and ask them to confirm.

Have a couple of questions about the organisation prepared. Ask about development and training routes / team dynamics etc. A good question I was once asked was 'if I spoke to somebody else in the organisation at the level / position of this job, what might they say were the best and worst things about working for the organisation?

CardiganWay Wed 18-Jan-17 08:09:52

Do some power posing in the loo just before you go in (basically adopt a superman pose or a victory pose - arms above your head in triumph - for a minute). Sounds crazy but there has been some research into its effectiveness.

Go into the room with a wide, warm, genuine smile. Introduce yourself, initiate the handshakes, and do them firmly and with eye contact. Accept a glass of water if they offer one.

Listen actively to the questions - nod and make the odd 'mmhmm' noise to show you understand. If you're confused, or if you need a moment, reflect back to them what you THINK they're asking and ask them to confirm.

Have a couple of questions about the organisation prepared. Ask about development and training routes / team dynamics etc. A good question I was once asked was 'if I spoke to somebody else in the organisation at the level / position of this job, what might they say were the best and worst things about working for the organisation?

Cantbeatatryer Wed 18-Jan-17 10:54:55

I agree with everyone else. Just wanted to say good luck!

FaerieDusting Wed 18-Jan-17 10:56:09

Thank you!! I'm so nervous! I'm ready already so hoping I don't get there too early.

BestIsWest Wed 18-Jan-17 10:59:39

Good luck. I've been interviewing this week and every candidate was nervous, hell, even we interviewers will be nervous! It's normal and they'll understand.

CardiganWay Wed 18-Jan-17 15:44:05

How did it go, OP?

FaerieDusting Wed 18-Jan-17 16:29:13

I got the job! grin
Thank you so much for the comments. I'm so chuffed.

SandysMam Wed 18-Jan-17 16:57:26

Yay! Well done!!

CardiganWay Wed 18-Jan-17 16:57:49

Hoooooooray! Well done you hero!

3littlebadgers Wed 18-Jan-17 17:05:32

Yey! Well done you. flowers wow first job interview in ages too, I'm taking inspiration for my own interviews coming up x

MollyHuaCha Wed 18-Jan-17 17:36:46

Congratulations! cake

FaerieDusting Wed 18-Jan-17 18:52:03

Thanks everyone smile

MrsHaitch Wed 18-Jan-17 20:21:22

Well done!! I had an interview today too, it went well so hoping to hear soon. I've not had an interview for almost 9 years so was good experience even if I don't get the job smile

ItsyBitsyBikini Wed 18-Jan-17 20:52:13

Well done! I had an interview today too so here's hoping your good luck rubs off on the rest of us smile

Deathraystare Thu 19-Jan-17 09:31:48

Well done Faerie!

I had an interview on Monday but won't hear until Friday. Not bad out of the 30 jobs I applied for...1 interview!!!

Cantbeatatryer Thu 19-Jan-17 23:28:17

Well done smile

I

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now