Advanced search

Grasp the next rung of the career ladder

Find jobs that fit your skills and your home life with Mumsnet jobs

See all jobs »

Asking for Reference while on ML.

(4 Posts)
ThatsMyOnlyShirt Mon 03-Mar-14 20:05:31

Hi MN, first time poster here.

I am currently on ML (about 8 weeks of my 52 left) & I have seen another job I would like to apply for. The application form states that references will be sought before interviews.

Should I tell my current manager that I have applied for the job, as I will be asking for a reference from her? I am hesitant to do so as I have already arranged my hours for when I return to work and if I am not successful I will
return to current employment. I am worried that my boss may react negativley towards me if she knows I am looking for other positions.

(Will just add that I have been at my current job incl ML about 5 & half years and feel I need a new challenge).

ThatsMyOnlyShirt Mon 03-Mar-14 23:03:58

PumpkinPie2013 Thu 06-Mar-14 09:23:40

I think you should tell her as it is polite to ask the person for a reference before putting them down. Far better she hears it from you first than gets the reference request as a suprise!

I would go along the lines of; I've been very happy here for the last 5 years and enjoy my work. However, I now feel I'm ready to take on a new challenge and have decided to apply for a new position. Could I put you down as a referee? If I'm not successful on this occassion I will of course continue to give 100% to my work here.

Or whatever you feel is appropriate.

Good luck!

ThatsMyOnlyShirt Thu 06-Mar-14 17:41:32

Thank you for the reply Pumpkin. As soon as I read it, I realised that of course I would have to tell her. the way you phrased asking for the ref. was very professional and spot on. Thanks again.

mumsnet jobs

Jobs you might like

View all jobs »

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now