Talk

Advanced search

He/She's been here before.

(8 Posts)
gillybeanz Tue 30-May-17 23:00:50

I just wondered if anybody else has had this said about their child.
It means wise beyond years, understanding at a deeper level etc, so I believe.
It might just be a geographical thing, but ime people say this when a child shows a talent, gift, difference, etc.

corythatwas Wed 31-May-17 09:47:11

Old-fashioned saying, have read it more often than I've heard it. Ime usually when a child has advanced verbal skills at an early age. Has a nicer ring than "precocious" anyway.

PeanutButterJellyTimeforTea Wed 31-May-17 09:48:09

I've had it said about my youngest, although I don't really like it I do understand what they mean.

RickOShay Wed 31-May-17 09:51:18

yes. When dd and ds1 were born, both midwives said Oh He/she has been here before. They are fifteen and nine now, and I still wonder what they meant.

gillybeanz Wed 31-May-17 21:40:36

Aw, that's an interesting take "precocious"

Maybe it could also mean a brightness, alertness, aura, or something like that, hence applying the term to a new born.

Ohyesiam Thu 01-Jun-17 08:59:13

The midwives said this about my daughter, who was really alert with good eye contact from the start. They meant that she seemed to have knowledge/ understanding of the world that could only be gained through experience, which as a newborn she obviously could not have.
It's interesting that precocious sound pejorative , or is generally used that way.

craftyoldhen Sun 04-Jun-17 18:15:37

People used to say this about DD when she was little. From the start she was a very alert baby who watched everything, and had a very thoughtful expression. She spoke early and well, and probably was a little bit precocious as a toddler.

Unfortunately she isn't gifted or particularly talented at age 9, but she certainly has a usual/ different quality about her. She was diagnosed with ASD 2 years ago.

MiaowTheCat Tue 13-Jun-17 19:54:47

People say it fairly regularly about my youngest - she's just bloody smart but in a crafty way as well as a more conventionally intelligent way! Little cherub discovers ways to exploit and maximise any reward systems ridiculously quickly (she cracked potty training by doing a drop of wee at a time to maximise her jelly bean yield)! Also is an absolute natural comedienne - I've never known a child so young have such a sense of humour about her.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now