Talk

Advanced search

Mumsnet has not checked the qualifications of anyone posting here. If you have any medical concerns we suggest you consult your GP.

dh just burnt his arm on my GHD's what should we do??

(27 Posts)
princessmel Thu 29-Oct-09 13:29:35

he is running it under cold water.

We may go to minor injuries, what dressing shall we put on it??

clingfilm?

IMoveTheStarsForNoOne Thu 29-Oct-09 13:32:50

[struggles to remember first aid training]

Do you have a first aid box? They often have a specific burns dressing in them, Otherwise clingfilm is fine.

Run under cold water/immerse in cold water for 15-20 mins - how bad is the burn? if it's bigger than the palm of your hand then it needs treatment.

HTH

TheDevilEatsBabies Thu 29-Oct-09 13:32:59

don't put any dressing on it.

just keep it under the cold (not necessarily running!) for 10 minutes and he'll be okay.
(in a bucket or bowl will be fine)

if there are still blisters after an hour then take him to minoe injuries, but it should be fine.

BoysAreLikeDogs Thu 29-Oct-09 13:35:09

please don't put anything on it not even cling film, check sure that his clothes aren't stuck - if they are then leave them for hospital to remove

carry on with the cold water for as long as he can bear it - I am talking about 15-20 minutes or longer

how big is the burn - can you see? anything larger than the size of a 50 p piece needs hospital imo

IMoveTheStarsForNoOne Thu 29-Oct-09 13:36:37

NHS Guidelines

If it is bad, then clingfilm will help - exposed nerve endings hurt more and the clingfilm will ease this.

princessmel Thu 29-Oct-09 13:38:36

Its a line as wide as some string about 3-4inches long with a flappy part of skin at the bottom . How grim.

He says its fine. hmm Has been under running water for 10 minutes.

Poor dh.

princessmel Thu 29-Oct-09 13:39:19

ok, re read my message and it doesnt sound like its that bad atall. But it's the flappy sking. Ugh!

thanks for link .

TheDevilEatsBabies Thu 29-Oct-09 13:41:51

ugh!
if it's the flappy skin, then please do the cling film and get straight off to minor injuries!

go!

IMoveTheStarsForNoOne Thu 29-Oct-09 13:50:31

Yes, please clingfilm it.

Please note that clingfilm is only a temporary dressing (there's a good comment at the bottom of the NHS link)

IMoveTheStarsForNoOne Thu 29-Oct-09 15:23:51

How is he - did you go to MI?

AttilaTheMeerkat Thu 29-Oct-09 16:28:05

He should seek medical attention for this burn.

alypaly Thu 29-Oct-09 16:55:11

keep the cold water or wrap frozen peas in a cloth amd keep on burn. It is not just the superficial damage it is the underlying tissues that you need to prevent from further damage.
cling film helps water loss and dirt from getting in.
My DS2 got 23% burns when he fell in my bath so we have had plenty of experience with ist,2nd,and 3rd degree burns

princessmel Thu 29-Oct-09 17:37:54

blush

Sorry for leaving you all wondering.
The flappy skin came off. yuk!
We went to the chemist and asked them what they thought.
The lady said to put savlon or germolene on it and if he wants to put a dressing on then a burns on. She showed us one to buy.

But she said the best thing is to leave it to the air. which is what dh is doing. He took some pain relief.

Thanks all of you for your help. Mn is fab !

EccentricaGallumbats Thu 29-Oct-09 17:43:41

um sorry but I don't think it should be left in the air. If the skin is broken it should be covered. and burns often get infected.
It is a myth that wounds need to 'dry out'. healing needs moistness.
I'd pop off to minor injuries and get a proper dressing on it.

EccentricaGallumbats Thu 29-Oct-09 17:44:29

and if you are buying something DO NOT buy Melolin. it sticks.

princessmel Thu 29-Oct-09 17:46:49

Ok, so cooled boiled water, antiseptic cream then dressing?? Will that do? dh wont go to MI. 5 day old newborn..not in pain..blah..blah.

alypaly Thu 29-Oct-09 17:47:22

melolin is fine as long as you put the shiny side on the wound. then it doesnt stick!!smile Inadine dressings and flamazine cream which is on prescription is also good for burns

EccentricaGallumbats Thu 29-Oct-09 17:56:05

still sticks.

princessmel Thu 29-Oct-09 18:13:03

lol

alypaly Thu 29-Oct-09 18:56:58

EG maybe you have glue for bloodgrin

Apparently potato skin is good for burns (hmm Why do I have this piece of information in my brain?) Peel a potato and put the skin wet side down on the burn. I assume you hold it in place with a bandage or traditional dressing. doesn't stick, keeps it moist and the burnt skin regenerates faster.

RatherBeOnThePiste Thu 29-Oct-09 19:02:49

Sorry. What is a GHD?
[thick emoticon]

morningpaper Thu 29-Oct-09 19:03:44

What the hell was he DOING? Does he have no basica REFLEXES?

MarkStretchingRack Thu 29-Oct-09 19:07:21

I am impressed you have a 5 day old newborn AND the energy to straighten your hair.

Or was he straightening his?!

alypaly Thu 29-Oct-09 19:08:43

RBOTP they are hairstraightners

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now