Talk

Advanced search

Mumsnet has not checked the qualifications of anyone posting here. If you have any medical concerns we suggest you consult your GP.

plug-in mozzie repellent - re they safe?

(9 Posts)
Loochyloo Tue 14-Jun-05 20:53:15

Does anyone know if it's ok to use those plug in mosquito repellent things in a baby's room? ds is 11 months and we're off to italian coast beg. July so mozzie factor quite high I think. Also is it safe/ worth it to get spray on repellent?

NannyJo Tue 14-Jun-05 20:56:48

i don't know about the plug in ( i wonderd myself for hols) but i wouldn't use the direct spra it could be a bit harsh on their skin.

You can get a natural citronella spray from these organic places (online or haelth shops, maybe even boots??)

toria77 Tue 14-Jun-05 21:05:30

I DID WITH DS WHO WAS 8 WEEKS- DO YOU KNOW, I DIDN'T CHECK IF IT WAS OK! I WASO WORRIED ABOUT HIM GETTING BITTEN THAT I FORGOT ABOUT THAT! I DID USE A GREAT HERBAL INSECT REPELLANT- ALTHOUGH ALL THE LOCALS USED A PARTICULAR AVON PRODUCT- WHICH ALTOUGH NOT DESIGNED TO REPELL THEM APPARENTLY DOES SO BRILLIANTLY- BUT SORRY FORGOTEN IT'S NAME!

Hulababy Tue 14-Jun-05 21:27:39

Mothercare do a plastic bracelet type band that works as an insect repellent.

If you get a spray or cream, check that it is suitable for toddlers - not all are.

Some baby aftersun cream contains an insect repellant i think.

Hulababy Tue 14-Jun-05 21:28:20

Oh, and someone also does a little clip on bug (ladybird???) that is an insect repellant for babies/toddlers. Will go and search.

Hulababy Tue 14-Jun-05 21:31:07

This link has a suitable insect repellent spray suitable for everyone, and also a love bug clip on thing.

Milliways Tue 14-Jun-05 22:08:17

Toria, I have friends who also swear by Avon Skin So SOft lotion. Apparently, the US army ordered gallons of the stuff once. I googled "Avon mosquito repellant" & found loads of people recommending it!

We always use a plug in thing on holiday, and again never considered it may be a risk for the littlies. However, they did not sleep right next to it. We used to stay in a mobile home & left it in the lounge area.

Loochyloo Wed 15-Jun-05 22:05:18

Thanks, sounds like Avon the thing! Can't resist the love bug tho, v sweet

Skribble Wed 15-Jun-05 22:15:34

"Skin so soft" has to be the woodland variety. It used to come in a lotion and a moistursing spray.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now