Talk

Advanced search

Mumsnet has not checked the qualifications of anyone posting here. If you have any medical concerns we suggest you consult your GP.

baby with a chesty cough

(9 Posts)
bandbsmum Mon 13-Jun-05 08:10:44

My 7 month old dd has a terrible chesty cough. Does anyone know of anything I can give her as all cough medicines seem to be for 12 months on? Gave her some paracetamol and rubbed Vicks on her chest last night, not sure it helped much though!

QueenFlounce Mon 13-Jun-05 08:14:30

Bandbsmum - There isn't anything you can give them until 12mths. And from what I've been told by my GP the childrens cough medicines aren't really that useful anyway.
You're doing the right thing though.... calpol and vicks. Try Olbas Oil for kids too, I find that really good at night to help them sleep.

bandbsmum Mon 13-Jun-05 08:22:16

Thanks QueenFlounce - I thought that was the case. She's not unhappy with thankfully, but it is waking her up at night more than usual. Think I've got some Olbas Oil somewhere, I'll put some a hanky tonight and tie it to her cot, and my try medised instead of calpol to try and knock her out!

poppy101 Mon 13-Jun-05 08:35:00

I have used the vapour plug in, which is quite good.

jessicasmummy Mon 13-Jun-05 08:37:58

You can get a baby cough mixture - either Tixylix Baby syrup or Meltus cough syrup - meltus works wonders on dd... she's 10 months.

QueenFlounce Mon 13-Jun-05 09:14:03

JM = Isn't that just for dry/tickly coughs? I've searched high and low and asked my GP and Pharmacist..... apparently they don't recommend any medicine for chesty coughs for under 12mths.

kcemum Mon 13-Jun-05 09:22:51

Agree with QF, my GP says the same, always advices that you increase fluid intake as this will help to loosen the gunk on chest, keep an eye on her temp and and breathing and see gp if you have any concerns

kcemum Mon 13-Jun-05 09:24:03

Also try raising the head end of the cot/mattress slightly.

bandbsmum Mon 13-Jun-05 09:34:22

I do have one of those plug in vaporisors, but find it a bit too strong. I've have increased her breast feeds and she also drinks plenty of water. I'll probably try raising one end of the cot tonight as well. Thanks for the advice everyone

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now