Talk

Advanced search

Mumsnet has not checked the qualifications of anyone posting here. If you have any medical concerns we suggest you consult your GP.

hysterectomy

(14 Posts)
msmac Wed 07-Oct-09 11:09:59

i had one 6 weeks ago, feeling ok but would like to hear how some one else got on and what to expect

Guad Wed 07-Oct-09 18:39:15

I had one 18 months ago. It did take quite a long time to feel completely better, I mean physically I was moving around fine and doing stuff by six weeks but I felt battered for some time.

The tiredness or fatigue took a while longer. I would say it was four to six months before I felt completely normal and it was a year before I didn't think about it.

That sounds depressing doesn't it! I think this in hindsight though. At the time I said I was fine and I was, but you have to be very nice to yourself for ages. smile

PurpleLostPrincess Wed 07-Oct-09 23:17:04

I'll be watching with interest, I'm having mine done in November. Hope you're recovering well msmac, have you got people around you to support you?

Meglet Wed 07-Oct-09 23:26:14

I had one 12 weeks ago and am back at the gym now (yay!), and back at work next week (booo!). I think I've been quite lucky tbh.

I took it easy for a good few weeks, I started lifting the dc's at 6 weeks but still had other people to push the double buggy - although I felt fine doing lots of walking by then. Its only in the last week or so I've really been on my own (am a lone parent). And even then the dc's have had nursery so I've not been dashing around all day.

Have you had your check up yet? Mine was at 8 weeks so I didn't do anything to strenuous until I had the all clear. I was bored out of my mind but decided it wasn't worth the risk.

Doyouthinktheysaurus Wed 07-Oct-09 23:33:58

I hope you are doing ok. A hysterectomy is not a nice thing really.

I had a radical hysterectomy so they took my cervix and the top of my vagina aswell but it took me 3 months+ to recover completely.

Physically I got tired very easily and didn't feel strong enough to go back to work until 3 months. Once I did go back to work it was a struggle.

Mentally it took me a couple of years to get through it really. I had cervical cancer and I found the whole thing of losing my womb and not being able to have more children at a relatively young age very hard to deal with.

I totally agree with Guad, it's only with hindsight that I can say it took me a couple of years to get through it. At the time I thought I was muddling along and coping. Now I can look back and realise how much better life is now and how I was affected by the whole thing alot more than I realised at the time.

Also because they took my cervix and stuff I now have what is delightfully called a 'vault prolapse' and I am due another operation to basically hoick my vagina back up into placeblush

Good luck with your operation PurpleLostPrincess. Hope everything goes well.

frakkinpannikin Wed 07-Oct-09 23:35:18

My mother is having one next week so will also be watching this.

Guad Thu 08-Oct-09 13:21:36

The gym, Meglet? shock You are doing well. I only just joined the gym again. I did start running to try and help with weight gain but not for six months or so. I walked miles though. Glad you're feeling better.

Doyouthinktheysawus - mine was for the same reason as you and I agree, there's all the psychlogical stuff that goes with having such an op. I was only 30 too. Sorry to hear about the prolapse. How soon did you notice that?

Hope things go well for your mother, Frakkinpanikkin.

Doyouthinktheysaurus Thu 08-Oct-09 13:36:51

Hi Guad
Sorry to here you had the same as me. It's 4 years ago for me now and I've come a long way in that time but it's not easy is it...

Erm, I noticed my prolapse I guess for the first time about 6-12 months after the hysterectomy but at first I didn't realise what the lump I could feel was and then I just ignored itgrin

I continued to ignore it for the next 3 years but it's definitely got a lot worse this year so I mentioned it at my annual check-up.

I thought I had a prolapsed bowel because the problems are with my bowel. I have a lump protruding into my vagina and I can't have a bowel movement without pushing it back inblush, but the Dr said it's sagging from the top.

I think my vagina is shot to bits TBH from a forceps delivery with DS1 aswell though, so I blame that aswell as the hysterectomy for my 90 year old bitsgrin

Guad Thu 08-Oct-09 13:44:55

No, it isn't easy. Mostly I don't think about it now but every so often something reminds me and the enormity of it overwhelms me. That's happening less and less though.

Poor you with your bulging bits! I haven't noticed anything like that though things can feel a bit strange. Hope your next op goes well.

Doyouthinktheysaurus Thu 08-Oct-09 13:57:08

Thankyousmile

I know exactly what you mean. As cliched as it is, time is a great healer....

Doyouthinktheysaurus Thu 08-Oct-09 16:28:22

Sorry for the hijack msmac, hope you are doing ok.

Guad if you are struggling at any time and want to talk you can always CAT mesmile

Guad Thu 08-Oct-09 18:15:23

Yes, sorry, Msmac! Hope you are feeling better too.

Thanks, doyuthinkhesawus. I don't have CAT but I keep meaning to get it. It would be nice to chat about it sometime. smile

Doyouthinktheysaurus Fri 09-Oct-09 05:55:46

No worries guad, you can email me if you want at doyouthinktheysaurus@googlemail.com

smile

Sibble Fri 09-Oct-09 06:03:36

I'm going to follow this thread. My doctor thinks I need one, I've put it on hold for 6 months while I think about it (excessive bleeding rather than anything serious) and I'm 'only 43' grin. I've had 2 emergency caesarians so think I know what post surgery will be like but am not sure if it's the same or not.

For me it's the thought of the practical things 2 ds's 5 and 9, live in the country so need to drive them to school or rely on friends, shopping and cleaning (dh useless!) plus I work contract so if I don't work I don't get paid.............etc etc

Will watch this space

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now