Talk

Advanced search

Mumsnet has not checked the qualifications of anyone posting here. If you have any medical concerns we suggest you consult your GP.

13 month old with MRSA

(10 Posts)
Monsy Tue 23-Jun-09 16:20:05

We have just found out that a boil our 13 month old son has is MRSA. I, in fact, had this for 8 months and suffered from terrible boils until I managed to eradicate it in January through antibiotic ointment and pills. I must have passed it on to him and it lay dormant in him all that time.

He isn't ill though and the doctor has given him antibiotics and we have been told to put ointment in his nose and wash everything all the time and that eventually it will just go. But I have been reading about Manuka honey and its antibacterial benefits for MRSA. Has anyone had a baby with MRSA and successfully eradicated it using the honey - or anything else?? We are so upset and I just want to get rid of MRSA for good. Thanks, Monsy.

AitchTwoOh Tue 23-Jun-09 16:23:01

oh dear, what a worry. it must be so wearing. i'm afraid i don't have anything useful to add on the subject of mrsa but my husband treated a wound that just wouldn't heal at all with manuka honey and it went away. not v scientific, but he was a bit desperate.

SpawnChorus Tue 23-Jun-09 16:26:36

Oh poor you and DS! I've heard lots of good things about manuka honey (my DH swears by it). There's certainly no harm in trying it, is there? Although you may be even more tempted to nibble him wink

AitchTwoOh Tue 23-Jun-09 16:33:05

my pal bought some the other day, she was recommended to for her dd's eczema, she said that the dermatologist said the M&S one was very high grade etc. costs a tenner.

noddyholder Tue 23-Jun-09 16:33:24

I had this.I was given vancomycin and also used tea tree and manuka on the wound and cleared it super fast.The doctors were septical but had to admit inthe end it had worked give it a go

noddyholder Tue 23-Jun-09 16:34:26

sceptical even

SpawnChorus Tue 23-Jun-09 16:49:38

I think Waitrose also do a v high grade one.

Monsy Wed 24-Jun-09 09:43:03

thank you so much for all your responses. I will try the manuka honey on him.

moanyhole Wed 24-Jun-09 15:29:12

if you breastfeed orknow anyone who does, breastmilk is brill to eradicate it. i put a few drops in dss bellybutton and it cleared it,antibiotics didnt!

duchesse Wed 24-Jun-09 15:32:36

I always swear by tea tree oil on all types of infection- may well be worth a try in this case.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now