Talk

Advanced search

Mumsnet hasn't checked the qualifications of anyone posting here. If you have medical concerns, please seek medical attention; if you think your problem could be acute, do so immediately. Even qualified doctors can't diagnose over the internet, so do bear that in mind when seeking or giving advice.

Iron level was 9

(11 Posts)
Claire2009 Tue 23-Jun-09 13:25:56

Meant to be at least 30-40 doc said?

Anaemic also, on 3 tabs a day for 3mths now.

4madboys Tue 23-Jun-09 13:32:49

um nope generally your iron level should be above 10. 9 is ok, mine was that whilst pregnant, i just had it tested actually and its not at 12 which the gp said is fine

i would try to up your iron intake just with regular food and also drink orange juice with vit c, as that helps you absorb iron more easily.

9 really isnt that low at all.

JHKE Tue 23-Jun-09 13:50:02

Agree with 4madboys.
When I had my 2 I was anaemic with both due to loss of blood during birth, my levels dropped to 6 and had to have blood transfusions. I remember at the time that my levels had to be 10 for me to leave hospital. I was on iron tablets after that for a few weeks.

Claire2009 Tue 23-Jun-09 14:00:12

"There are 2 ways to measure Iron levels, Iron stores (ferritin) & the Iron being used (haemoglobin) normal range for Ferritin is 12-150 ng/mL while normal range for haemoglobin is 12 - 16 gm/dl. Your doctor may have also tested the Mean cell hemoglobin concentration (MCHC) which is the average concentration of hemoglobin in a given volume of red cells. Normal range for this is 32 - 36% so that might be where the 30-40 came from"

That makes sense, ish. blush

Thanks girls, will take the iron tabs and hopefully a dramatic improvement will occur!

mistlethrush Tue 23-Jun-09 14:02:49

Claire - said this before - due to blood loss I was given iron tabs - but managed to get my levels up in a week what they expected in 3 wks by eating carob - available in wholefood shops - you can buy bars a bit like chocolate, but I get the powder and just have a teaspoon in breakfast cereal, bowl of yoghurt, even as a hot milky drink. No side effects to this - although there might be to the iron tabls.

megcleary Tue 23-Jun-09 14:04:59

Mine was 4 the ferritin and it is like running a car with no petrol the GP said I was very emotional and stressed when it was low and the normal range starts at 22 it is as you say different to HB I felt a lot better after a course of iron smile

LadyOfWaffle Tue 23-Jun-09 14:06:18

Spatone is better than iron tablets IME. I put a sachet in orange juice. Iron tablets made my poo green blush , all bloated/constipated etc. Spatone is absorbed faster also.

spiderlight Tue 23-Jun-09 15:06:07

Floradix/Floravital is also infinitely better than tablets. It's liquid and it doesn't upset your stomach or bung you up like tablets can. I also find that it's much easier to absorb in this form - iron tablets have virtually no effect on my iron levels but Floravital makes a big difference. You can get it in pretty much any health food shop. Ferroglobin liquid is pretty good too and much cheaper.

Iworryalot Tue 23-Jun-09 15:36:44

what is spatone ? how many Mg of iron is in a sachet ? and is it ok to take daily ? daily amount is 18 i think ? thinking of getting some if good i have low iron very heavy periods use gentle iron tablets at moment .

KingRolo Tue 23-Jun-09 15:42:28

LadyOfWaffle is right about Spatone.

It comes in sachets which you add to orange juice as the vit C helps iron absorption. The mg of iron in a sachet is lower than in an iron tab but it's all absorbed as it's in liquid form.

I took 2 sachets a day and got my iron levels from 9.4 at 22 wks pg to 12.4 at delivery. The midwives were well impressed!

It's often on 3 for 2 in Boots too.

Iworryalot Tue 23-Jun-09 15:59:16

thank you i will have a look , i have heavy P and doc said would do no harm to take iron daily to top up what i loose .
i do get v tired and breathless and have just started to go to gym and feel exhausted so this may help .

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, watch threads, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now »

Already registered? Log in with: