Talk

Advanced search

Mumsnet has not checked the qualifications of anyone posting here. If you have any medical concerns we suggest you consult your GP.

anyone out there who didn't get on with the mirena coil? what works for you?

(11 Posts)
deaconblue Mon 08-Jun-09 20:34:14

I'm thinking of having mine removed. I get a light period for 10 days, then only 10 days without a period. I get awful headaches and tearfulness the 2 days before each cycle too. I planned to change to depo injection but nurse said today I'm probably progesterone sensitive and all of those methods will leave me tearful. I really want a method of contraception that reduces or stops periods as mine are so heavy without the coil.

herbietea Mon 08-Jun-09 20:37:57

Message withdrawn

deaconblue Mon 08-Jun-09 20:39:07

Is that what they used to call sterilisation?

herbietea Mon 08-Jun-09 22:04:07

Message withdrawn

ReneRusso Mon 08-Jun-09 22:16:07

how long have you had the mirena for shoppingbags? it does take a while to settle down so might be worth waiting a bit to see if things improve.

Nyx Mon 08-Jun-09 22:27:03

I had my coil removed as didn't get on with it at all; nothing like your problems though. I'm on cerazette (mini-pill) now, I was scared about the horrible side-effects I've read about but actually I think it's ok. Haven't had a period for months now grin

dizietsma Mon 08-Jun-09 23:35:08

I am progesterone sensitive, and implore you NOT TO GET DEPO. I had two jabs and it took me two years to recover.

Copper only coil works a treat for me.

Spidermama Mon 08-Jun-09 23:38:48

I can;t remember which mumsnetter it was but I vividly remember her describing how she lay in the bath being aware of the Mirena coil then somehow managed to feel it and pull it gently out. shock

I remember her feeling exhilerated and liberated. Extraordinary!

Metatron Mon 08-Jun-09 23:41:58

Shopping - I am a mess on progesterone stuff. I have the combined pill - I still get PMT but I run 3 packs together (with docs yay) so it is less of a pain.

Also v light period - rather a treat for me as I bleed very heavily and am a mess for days without hormones. Might be worth a try.

Chaotica Tue 09-Jun-09 00:10:04

I hated the mirena. Just got rid of mine. Copper coil works fine (but might not if period are heavy). Wish I could lose the mirena-induced weight though...

deaconblue Tue 09-Jun-09 13:36:04

have had mirena for 6 months so think probably am stuck with symptoms. Depo was great for me when I was about 22 but I'm guessing I've changed a lot hormone wise in 14 yrs since last trying it.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now