Talk

Advanced search

Mumsnet has not checked the qualifications of anyone posting here. If you have any medical concerns we suggest you consult your GP.

Rubella and early pregnancy - help please someone!

(18 Posts)
dinosaur Mon 25-Apr-05 10:37:03

My baby son has been poorly with symptoms that exactly match the description of rubella.

I said this to my room mate at work who blanched with horror and confessed that she is five weeks pregnant and doesn't know her rubella status.

If DS3 has rubella - could I have transmitted it to her? I know I myself am immune - have had disease plus been vaccinated plus had my own immunity checked. But couild I still be a carrier?

WigWamBam Mon 25-Apr-05 10:38:47

I'm pretty sure that she would need to be in contact with someone who has the disease to catch it herself.

Laylasmum Mon 25-Apr-05 10:41:05

If you are immune there is no way you can pass it on. she would need to be in direct contact with an infected person to pick it up.

baka Mon 25-Apr-05 10:52:25

if you are immune then all is fine - you can't pass it on. Is this her first child? If not she will have been tested in her previous pregnancy and would have been told if she wasn't immune anyway.

dinosaur Mon 25-Apr-05 10:55:07

It is her first child. She's completely panic-stricken and has gone home now. She's going to get a blood test done this afternoon to see if she's immune.

baka Mon 25-Apr-05 11:00:25

the gp should tell her there's no way she can get it! Hopefully will reassure her. She may as well get her immune status checked anyway.

dinosaur Mon 25-Apr-05 11:18:55

Thanks Baka. I've got a call in to my GP at the moment but haven't heard back from them yet. I feel really bad, even though I know it's not my fault. Was at pains to stress to her that DS3 is too young to have been vaccinated.

aloha Mon 25-Apr-05 11:22:25

She's being a bit hysterical - she can't catch it from someone who doesn't have it. I don't mean that to sound unkind, I think we all have moments of hysteria in a first pg.

dinosaur Mon 25-Apr-05 11:23:55

We do don't we? I think I had a few in second and third pregnancies too!

Marina Mon 25-Apr-05 11:46:27

That sounds like a classic first pregnancy wig-out, poor soul. But she really ought to have got her immunity checked before ttcing. Hope they can put her mind at rest on both the immunity and the contagion front.
How is ds3 today Dinosaur? I guess they no longer think it is measles then.

baka Mon 25-Apr-05 12:01:52

dinosaur- my son caught rubella from a vaccinated child anyway. - agree with aloha and marina- it's a pregnancy panic. Just hope she has a sensible and sympathetic GP who can tell her that she's worrying unecessarily. Otherwise she's going to hate tube travel for the next 9 months.

I remember being dreadfully paranoid during my 1st pregnancy, I think by the time you're onto the later ones you are used to being sneezed and vomited on by snotty contagious children iykwim.

I had to tell a friend of mine that someone she had gone out for a meal with (male friend of mine) had gone down with rubella 2 days later. My friend was pregnant with her first- but luckily had already had her rubella status checked and knew she was immune. It was an awful thing to have to tell her though- I was shaking. I think she went back to the midwiife who reassured her all would be fine.

dinosaur Mon 25-Apr-05 13:51:29

Getting really pissed off about this. She has rung her own doctors'surgery and spoken to one of the nurses who has told her that until it is confirmed that my DS3 doesn't have rubella, she shouldn't come back into the office! meanwhile I am stuck here waiting for my doctor to phone me back, haven't dared go for lunch yet!

baka Mon 25-Apr-05 14:20:33

WTF? How bloody ridiculous is that! Perhaps they'll quarantine you? (sorry, not very helpful- but honestly).

dinosaur Mon 25-Apr-05 14:27:22

Yes, maybe I could just stay home all week

baka Mon 25-Apr-05 14:29:34

- perhaps you should offer

Honestly though a nurse is meant to calm people down- The raised blood pressure will be doing the poor woman more harm than having you breathe on her.

dinosaur Mon 25-Apr-05 15:51:33

Well thankfully one of the GPs from our surgery rang me back and said that given that I am immune, the chances of me carrying rubella infection are incredibly incredibly tiny - so she should be fine. She's going to get her immunity checked anyway.

Tinker Mon 25-Apr-05 15:56:33

So you don't now have to change your name to TyphoidMary or RubellaDinosaur?

dinosaur Mon 25-Apr-05 16:52:33

AbandonHopeAllYeWhoEnterHere

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now