Advertisement

loader

Talk

Advanced search

Mumsnet has not checked the qualifications of anyone posting here. If you have any medical concerns we suggest you consult your GP.

need research references for vaccines and auto immune disorders [jim jams?]

(11 Posts)
ruty Tue 19-Apr-05 14:52:39

I finally saw immunologist in Oxford today who was surprisingly helpful, and wanted to know more about the research on vaccines and auto immune disorders, particularly about the link between children with auto immune family histories and worse reactions to vacccines [ i am talking about dTaPHib and polio] I need to send him the best research around so he can't poo poo it. Can anyone refer me to the best names or research? I know Jimjams has a lot of info...

Fio2 Tue 19-Apr-05 15:24:41

sorry really nothing to do with this. But I have just found out a skin condition i have, that is very rare in women my age, but rare on thw whole can be caused by me being too immune??? over immune, sorry very foggy on this! I am allergic to lots of things, cheese, penicillin etc I was wondering whether it could affect my children. Infact i was panicking it could have somehow caused my daughters learning disabilities in a round about way

signed mrs confused

ruty Tue 19-Apr-05 15:37:44

don't think it can harm your daughter - what is the condition called? if it is an auto immune disorder - that means your immune sytem attacks healthy cells for no reason - it can be controlled, it can come and go, or it can stick around. But don't think it could have caused your daughter's learning disabilities.

ruty Tue 19-Apr-05 16:11:21

bump

ruty Tue 19-Apr-05 17:29:11

bump. trying to look for research myself but would love a shortcut if anyone has info to hand..

dinosaur Tue 19-Apr-05 17:33:08

search special needs board (archive) - use thimerosal as a search term - that should bring up the right stuff

ruty Tue 19-Apr-05 17:40:14

thankyou, will try, hope it has more than just thimersol related research, will look.

tiddlypom Tue 19-Apr-05 17:41:33

I'm not good at links but you could Google for these: JABS - a campaign group; and The Informed Parent. HTH.

tamum Tue 19-Apr-05 18:05:11

I have had a look for you on Pubmed, but to be honest I can't see anything at first glance that shows real evidence of the sort that would convince an immunologist. The first 3 I looked at all said there was no link. There is a review in the Lancet, abstract here and another one here that might be worth looking at.

Jimjams Tue 19-Apr-05 18:10:35

MOst of the vaccine/autoimmune stuff (published) is on thimerosal and mercury induced autoimmunity.

I haven't looked much further as I decided not to vaccinate anywyay.

The other place to search would be on TH1/TH2 ratios as vaccination can affect those (more TH2- if already a predisposition). There' some basic info on that on visceral , Andy wakefiled website. it's more hypothetical at the moment I think- just a potential model that needs to be tested. You might want to check the Autism research unit as well (search for ARU sunderland) should get you there.

ruty Tue 19-Apr-05 18:50:13

thanks both of you. useful starters

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now