Talk

Advanced search

Mumsnet has not checked the qualifications of anyone posting here. If you have any medical concerns we suggest you consult your GP.

BUPA

(6 Posts)
megandsoph Sun 17-Apr-05 22:50:27

I know this sounds really stupid but I don't understand much about Private health cover

I have been thinking about joining bupa but what does cover do?? and where & when can u use it?? how can it be used in normal nhs hospitals??

Any advice would be gratefully recieved

uwila Sun 17-Apr-05 23:04:31

I have bupa through my work. It covers consutant care (need to be referred by GP) for medically necessary treatment of curable conditions. It does not cover maternity (except for a medically necessary caesarean). Basically, I think it comes in handy when you you want/need to see a consultant and are fed up with NHS waiting times.

JoolsToo Sun 17-Apr-05 23:37:39

and if you join now and already have a medical condition you won't be covered for it - you can get family cover. The amount of cover depends on what you pay

JanH Sun 17-Apr-05 23:47:19

Waiting lists are nothing like as bad now as they were under the (ahem) conservatives - Bupa is not nearly such a boon now as it was then - eg the waiting list for grommets was about 2 years in 1990.

I would do some research first, mands.

marthamoo Sun 17-Apr-05 23:48:43

You can only join BUPA if you're healthy. Any existing conditions - forget it.

megandsoph Mon 18-Apr-05 16:45:27

ty all

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now