Talk

Advanced search

Mumsnet hasn't checked the qualifications of anyone posting here. If you have medical concerns, please seek medical attention; if you think your problem could be acute, do so immediately. Even qualified doctors can't diagnose over the internet, so do bear that in mind when seeking or giving advice.

sterilisation/contraceptive patch advice please

(3 Posts)
babyboo1and2 Sat 14-Feb-09 22:12:46

dh and i are considering sterilisation but just wanted mn advice regarding long term effects eg i read/heard somewhere about increased risk of prostrate cancer after male sterilisation and when i mentioned female sterilisation to a friend she said increased risk of brittle bone disease

have done a bit of searching the net but not seen anything about either

we are both 40 and used condoms for years, i have never used the pill as didnt like the thought of chemicals in my body however i read an article in a magazine today that said taking pill could reduce risk of cervical cancer by 50% if taken for 3 -4 years so am now considering patch as way too forgetful for daily pill

any advice?

Sidge Sat 14-Feb-09 22:36:48

If you have a hysterectomy and your ovaries are removed, then you will be at increased risk of osteoporosis (brittle bones) due to a lack of oestrogen.

Normally female sterilisation involves clipping off the tubes and the ovaries are left intact so no additional risk of osteoporosis.

If you forget to take a pill would you forget to change a patch? It has to be changed each week.

Also previous research has suggested that being on the pill may increase the risk of cervical cancer, not decrease it. I haven't seen the article that you refer to.

babyboo1and2 Sun 15-Feb-09 13:55:10

sidge

just reread the magazine article and i misread it - it suggests being on the pill for three to four years reduces you ovarian (not cervical) cancer risk by 50% but it also said pregnancy does this

does anyone know if research still suggests male sterilisaton increases the risk of prostrate cancer?

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, watch threads, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now »

Already registered? Log in with: