Advertisement

loader

Talk

Advanced search

Mumsnet has not checked the qualifications of anyone posting here. If you have any medical concerns we suggest you consult your GP.

bronchial pneumonia

(7 Posts)
fairi Fri 25-Mar-05 19:32:52

my 2.5 month old baby has bronchial pneumonia and tonsollitis (which we discovered by going to the pead for a tummy bug!)

He is now on antibiotics - but I've found out that pneumonia is most often viral (therefore not treated with antibiotics, but antivirals) - anyone had this in their babies before and any advice?

kid Fri 25-Mar-05 19:41:58

My DS (nearly 3) had pneumonia just before Christmas and it was treated with antibiotics so I assume it must be the same as your baby has. The antibiotics treated it fine and I took him to the Dr's for a checkup and he was given the all clear.

Wishing your baby a quick recovery.

llkjj Fri 25-Mar-05 20:27:55

I thought pneumonia was almost always bacterial, where did you read otherwise?

fairi Mon 28-Mar-05 22:20:50

surfing the net - I discovered from a few sources that there is a viral, bacterial and fungal version of pneumonia.

The viral one is apparently the most common and the one whose symptoms include diahorrea (which is what he first presented with and was in fact the reason I visited the doc in the first place - I was astounded when we discovered the pneumonia -considering we'd not noticed any other symptoms)

SoupDragon Tue 29-Mar-05 08:47:48

DS2 had pneumonia last Easter and was treated by antibiotics. They cleared it up really quickly.

albert Tue 29-Mar-05 09:13:29

Both DS and I have had this and were both treated with anti-biotics which cleared it up fairly quickly. How's your baby today? Hopefully on the way up.

SueW Tue 29-Mar-05 09:54:04

DD had pneumonia when she was 2.5yo. She was admitted to hospital and they took temps as viral and bacterial spike differently or something. She didn't have antibiotics to clear it up and was discharged less than 24 hours after admittance. Her main prob had been dehydration.

Hope your baby is better now,

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now