Advanced search

Mumsnet hasn't checked the qualifications of anyone posting here. If you have medical concerns, please seek medical attention; if you think your problem could be acute, do so immediately. Even qualified doctors can't diagnose over the internet, so do bear that in mind when seeking or giving advice.

Ex in-laws are in their mid 80's and really struggling but...

(10 Posts)
JumpingDizzy Sun 02-Nov-08 20:45:50

SS can't help them as they own their own home.

I was thinking of contacting Age concern and asked ex if it's ok as I don't want to seem as if I'm interfering.

Anyone had any experience of them?

Kbear Sun 02-Nov-08 20:48:14

my inlaws are elderly and own their own home but still receive help - the local council should be able to advise you.

mumonthenet Sun 02-Nov-08 20:50:21

jumping - they can get some help in their own home from the local authority. Find the website of their local council - there should be info on it regarding what's available for elderly people.

It can be complicated and time consuming but you or your ex will have to start looking into it if they are becoming v doddery.

Or is it financial?

figroll Sun 02-Nov-08 21:21:22

My FIL is elderly and struggling in his own home. He has carers coming in three times a day organised by the council social services department. He also has frozen meals delivered that he can reheat, which he really enjoys.

As he has savings and a good pension from his job, he has to make a contribution towards paying for the carers but he doesn't have to pay the full amount for them.

Our main difficulty with him is loneliness. We contacted Age Concern as they said that they could organise his going to a day care centre once or twice a week (which he doesn't want to do), but it could suit your in-laws. They also said they could organise a visit from someone, but this came to nothing.

(I wasn't terribly impressed with Age Concern actually, but it may just be where we live)

JumpingDizzy Sun 02-Nov-08 21:34:47

thank you for your replies I'll contact their local council.

choosyfloosy Sun 02-Nov-08 21:40:36

At this sort of age, one or more of them might have served in the forces - e.g. national service. List of service charities- they might find it easier to accept help via this sort of route. I am pretty sure that SSAFA Forces Help (near the bottom of the list) help people who were in the forces for national service, even if none of the others do.

JumpingDizzy Sun 02-Nov-08 22:04:16

yes choosy his dad was in the RAF and fought in the war, good idea.

JumpingDizzy Sun 02-Nov-08 22:07:11

i had a look and it seems that's more for financial aid? They are ok for money it's practical help they need.

choosyfloosy Sun 02-Nov-08 22:16:24

oh yes i see (sorry). well, maybe the local Welfare Officer of the Royal Air Force Association? they might at least have ideas?

JumpingDizzy Sun 02-Nov-08 22:17:19

thanks again choosy I'll look into that.

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, watch threads, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now »

Already registered? Log in with: