Talk

Advanced search

Mumsnet has not checked the qualifications of anyone posting here. If you have any medical concerns we suggest you consult your GP.

please HELP.....

(18 Posts)
sasa15 Thu 10-Mar-05 17:22:51

pest control came today and got read of the rat under floor board....we have been smell sick for a week, and ds today hasn't eaten all day and vomit 2 times, now after plain tea dinner..

do you think is related....or could be a bug?ott

shall I still give his bottle at 7pm?

Marina Thu 10-Mar-05 17:26:03

How old is ds? I think it is more likely to be a bug if the rat was under the floor boards, you poor things - yuk. But small children need to keep up their fluids so if he brings back the milk maybe switch to water and get in some rehydration sachets for tomorrow?
There are lots of short-life bugs around. Dd chundered all over me at midnight last night and was bright-eyed and bushy-tailed this morning unlike her smelly, knackered parents...

sasa15 Thu 10-Mar-05 17:28:32

7 months.i...I though water make him more vomiting ...at empty stomac,.....

sasa15 Thu 10-Mar-05 17:29:39

I've got gaviscon infant at home...
would be good?

LIZS Thu 10-Mar-05 17:31:57

Probably coincidence. Sips of water or dioralyte should help and if you are breastfeeding you can try to continue if he'll take it and keep it down. No solids or dairy until he has gone for a long time, 24 hrs even, without being sick or developing diahorrhea.

sasa15 Thu 10-Mar-05 17:34:12

so not bedtime milk....

would he sleep on empty stomac?

sasa15 Thu 10-Mar-05 18:40:00

dh g0t dioralyte,,,,it does say that it is for diarrhioea...ds hasn't poo all day...just vomit...
he actually vomit even if he drink water...

is it ok to give him dioralyte before going to bed?

so definetely no milk!

LIZS Thu 10-Mar-05 19:19:59

It is for rehydration so should help with either vomiting and /or diahorrhea - not to prevent it but to replenish the lost fluid, minerals and sugars - and it is important to only give a few sips at a time if he is likely to be sick. Perhaps keep him up a little after giving it just to make sure it goes in and stays.

Hope he feels better soon.

sasa15 Thu 10-Mar-05 20:17:07

thank you LIZS

I'll give dioralyte when he wake up...

so is it not breakfast and not lunch....
and maybe I'll try milk tomorrow..noon..

is it ok 24 hours without food...

how many dioralyte can you give per day?
I haven't reed the box properly yet....

PrettyCandles Thu 10-Mar-05 20:19:46

Are you breastfeeding? If so, keep on and feed him as often as he will take. Breastmilk is very good for digestive illness.

sasa15 Thu 10-Mar-05 20:20:37

I'm not breastfeeding...anymore...

he's on formula....

sasa15 Thu 10-Mar-05 20:22:29

inexperienced first time mother...always panicking...and then play by ear ...

sasa15 Thu 10-Mar-05 20:23:13

unexperienced....

PrettyCandles Thu 10-Mar-05 20:25:30

Don't worry, it happens.

A good tip to remember when recovering from vomiting and/or diarrhoea is BRAT - the first foods should be Bannanas, Rice, Apples, Toast. Also dilute the formula when you start it again - about half-strength for the first day.

PrettyCandles Thu 10-Mar-05 20:26:10

'Inexperienced' is correct .

helsi Thu 10-Mar-05 20:27:43

diarolyte good - comes in glavours. DD likes blackcurrant one.

sasa15 Thu 10-Mar-05 20:43:01

sorry I didn't get it...
what to give first thing in the morning....

if he wake up...as usual...happy!!!

PrettyCandles Thu 10-Mar-05 21:03:48

Not milk. No milk for at least 24h after he stops vomiting or having diarrhoea.

Water or diaoralyte until he stops vomiting. You can then start him on the BRAT diet, even if he has diarrhoea, but definitely no milk. The important thing is to keep offering water.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now