Talk

Advanced search

Mumsnet has not checked the qualifications of anyone posting here. If you have any medical concerns we suggest you consult your GP.

Hyperglycemia in 4 year old child

(14 Posts)
SittingBull Fri 19-Sep-08 20:56:05

Message withdrawn

rempy Fri 19-Sep-08 20:57:58

Assume you mean hypoglycemia, and yes, it would need a test when symptoms are apparent - but this can be a pin prick like diabetics do, not an armful.

LaDiDaDi Fri 19-Sep-08 20:58:13

Hypoglycaemia is what I think that you mean and yes she is right, either that or fit him with a blood glucose monitor for 3 days or so.

TBH he is unlikey to have low blood sugar if he has the energy to kick, scream and roll on the floor. Much more likely if he was quiet, pale and clammy.

Sidge Fri 19-Sep-08 21:01:47

You mean hypoglycaemia, and yes it's better to feed small children every 2-3 hours and keep their blood sugars stable.

Trying to prick the finger of a child screaming, kicking and rolling on the floor would NOT be easy!

SittingBull Fri 19-Sep-08 21:03:29

Message withdrawn

Sidge Fri 19-Sep-08 21:06:13

It might be food. It probably isn't a true hypo as people with a true low blood sugar tend to get lethargic, sweaty and faint but when my DD needs to eat she gets really grumpy and hectic.

How old is he, and what his is eating schedule at the moment?

SittingBull Fri 19-Sep-08 23:03:19

Message withdrawn

SalVolatile Fri 19-Sep-08 23:10:50

hi Sittingbull, I had one of these and he's now 15 and an A team rugby player grin. Thought the same as you, especially as I have aseveral family members with type 1 diabetes, but it turned out the answer was a) to feed him complex carbs, e.g beans on toast for breakfast became a staple, and b0 to anticipate mealtimes and make sure they were never, ever late grin. Tnh, he's 4, he's a bpy, he's growing fast and needs fuel. That's all, honestly! I can post a pic of ds2 if you are still worried.....

oops Fri 19-Sep-08 23:20:30

Message withdrawn

SittingBull Fri 19-Sep-08 23:56:46

Message withdrawn

oops Sat 20-Sep-08 00:00:51

Message withdrawn

Sidge Sat 20-Sep-08 13:57:57

Yes try more protein - it can reduce hunger more than foods like fruit. Also complex carbs like SV said - porridge for breakfast, crackers, oatcakes. His schedule is fine so maybe he needs more volume.

SalVolatile Mon 22-Sep-08 20:50:49

hi Sittingbull - hope you are still around this thread as I thought of you this weekend when dc2 was home from boarding school for the weekend; on Sunday (like the hungry caterpillar grin) he ate yoghurt, cereal, toast, croissants, more toast, .....banana bread (lots), crisps, 2 1/2 helpings of steak and mushroom casserole for lunch, apple pie, ice cream, fruit, .......banana bread.....more banana bread.......sandwiches and cake for tea and was back at school by 7pm. He played rugby on Saturday afternoon and squash on Sunday, He is whip thin, fit and growing: sounds like you have one too grin

SittingBull Tue 23-Sep-08 05:13:34

Message withdrawn

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now