Talk

Advanced search

Mumsnet has not checked the qualifications of anyone posting here. If you have any medical concerns we suggest you consult your GP.

Hints and tips for removing splashproof dressings?

(4 Posts)
roisin Sat 30-Aug-08 09:01:52

ds2 had a small op on Wednesday and we're supposed to be removing/replacing the dressing today.

It's a splashproof dressing, which means the 1" border all round is like a super-sticky plaster, and the whole thing is about 6"x4".

Does anyone have any ideas about getting this off without it being very painful for him?

(I tried easing a corner this morning, but it was very firmly stuck and ds2 didn't appreciate my efforts at all!)

Should I give up and take him to the practice nurse on Monday?

snorris Sat 30-Aug-08 09:06:10

Oil can sometimes help dissolve the adhesive (any will do baby/veg oil etc). If you have to put another dressing on it may not stick though unless you can clean the skin thoroughly . (As I found out blush)

snorris Sat 30-Aug-08 09:08:49

Just remembered,when dd4 was in hospital and had a fabric plaster dressing they used an alcohol type wipe to get that off. The nurse peeled up a corner and then gradually worked round directly on the sticky bit rather than saturate the dressing.

roisin Sat 30-Aug-08 17:26:36

Thanks snorris, that was really helpful. I bought some babyoil, and that seemed to work quite well.

I've left the final/initial dressing on: it's just a thin strip over the actual scar/stitches, and it seems very stuck with matted blood and hair (hairy birthmark hmm), and doesn't seem ready to come off yet.

The replacement dressings I got from the hospital are useless and won't stay on at all, so I think I'll put some fabric plaster on before he goes back to school to protect it properly.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now