Talk

Advanced search

Mumsnet has not checked the qualifications of anyone posting here. If you have any medical concerns we suggest you consult your GP.

Inflammation of the brain

(9 Posts)
DSM Wed 30-Jul-08 21:47:20

Have (slightly) namechanged for this..

My BF has just been told he has an inflammation on his brain.

I am worried sick and was wondering if anyone can give me any advice about what exactly this means, what is likely to happen and how serious it is?

DSM Wed 30-Jul-08 21:57:39

Anyone?

NigellaTheOriginal Wed 30-Jul-08 21:59:01

any more details? is he in hospital or at home? any follow up by Drs due? symptoms?

DontNeedAnything Wed 30-Jul-08 22:00:53

here is the NHS guidance on this

Sounds as though severity can range from mild (almost asymptomatic) to very serious. sad.

Hope s/he is OK.

DSM Wed 30-Jul-08 22:02:09

He is at home.

He has pins and needles all down one side of his body, has lost all strength in that side and feels dizzy.

DSM Wed 30-Jul-08 22:03:26

Oh god - I read that... sad

I am so worried.

DontNeedAnything Wed 30-Jul-08 22:12:05

I'm sorry.

There is nothing else to say.

ummadam Thu 31-Jul-08 15:54:00

DSM, don't panic. it is impossible to help without more information. BUT.... it is odd that he is at home if this is what he has. We don't leave people with encephalitis at home. We don't leave people who are really sick or in danger at home ok. Has he been investigated at the hospital and allowed home again? If not, but the doctor is not admitting him it is likely there is more to the story.

Your boyfriend should be able to tell you what the doctor said. If he isn't able to remember/understand then he needs someone else with him when he speaks to the doctor. To put your fears at rest ask him when he is seeing the doctor next and whether you can be with him at the time. Then the doctor will have his permission to answer your questions aswell.

Don't panic. Give him lots of TLC and if you think he is getting worse or not getting better then ask the doctor to review him again ok?

Chin up honey. [hug]

ummadam Fri 01-Aug-08 17:01:11

how are you both DSM?

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now