Talk

Advanced search

Mumsnet has not checked the qualifications of anyone posting here. If you have any medical concerns we suggest you consult your GP.

can you get all dental care free with a maternity exemption card?

(10 Posts)
mum2samandalex Sun 27-Jul-08 22:26:06

or is it just check ups. Ive decided i want to correct my teeth and have a brace fitted just wondering how much it costa or whther im eligible for free dental treatment.

thisisyesterday Sun 27-Jul-08 22:27:25

no you;ll only get stuff that needs doing,.
ie, if you needed a filling or something that would be covered.
but they won't do aesthetic work

harpomarx Sun 27-Jul-08 22:27:37

I don't know about teeth correction but I had extensive root canal treatment, plus crowns and replacement gold and white fillings.

GrinningGorilla Sun 27-Jul-08 22:29:59

You cant get things like caps, crowns or braces on your exemption card. You can only get urgent treatment , extractions, treatment for abcesses or fillings. If you want anything else you will have to pay.

thisisyesterday Sun 27-Jul-08 22:31:56

harpomarx, you obviously have a very nice dentist lol

GrinningGorilla Sun 27-Jul-08 22:32:00

Harpo, I think my dentist must have been a tight git when I was pregnant. I needed a cap done and he said my card wouldn't cover it!

AvenaLife Sun 27-Jul-08 22:32:20

You only qualify for free NHS dental treatment, a check up, scale and polish, fillings, root canal and a crown. Even children don't get braces because they are cosmetic and this is not paid for by the NHS. Sorry.

thisisyesterday Sun 27-Jul-08 22:33:08

mine would have done a crown for me. but I needed it. she wouldn't have done it just because I fancied it iyswim? I'd had a lot of root canal treatment done and the tooth didn't look like it was going to make it, so she offered the crown.

but as a rule they do not do stuff that is unnecessary

Scotia Sun 27-Jul-08 22:38:01

I had braces on my maternity exemption card - started treatment just before my daughter's 1st birthday, but had been discussing it with my dentist for a while previously. It was his idea for me to wait, and I got the whole course of treatment (almost 2 years) free because it started before my exemption ran out.

DD also had braces on the NHS.

We are in Scotland if that makes a difference.

harpomarx Sun 27-Jul-08 22:58:39

lol thisisyesterday - yeah, I needed the crown too. And he was a really nice dentist. He was a South African and seemed to have the attitude that it wasn't unreasonable to make your mouth look halfway decent...

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now