Talk

Advanced search

Mumsnet has not checked the qualifications of anyone posting here. If you have any medical concerns we suggest you consult your GP.

Post-natal carpal tunnel syndrome - anyone else?

(9 Posts)
NoviceKnitter Fri 21-Sep-07 10:22:55

I didn't have it when pg, but have had in both hands since DD born 12 weeks ago - sometimes v bad, sometimes not so bad. Anyone else had same pattern? Wondering if it's hormonal to do with breastfeeding or if it's all the extra lifting and carrying I'm now doing. Doc says as it's not constant it will go eventually - but it seems to be getting worse. Will it go once DD weaned I'm wondering...

iota Fri 21-Sep-07 10:25:16

I had it and what really helped was wearing a wrist support for several months. My Dr referred me to the physiotherapists at the local hospital and they assessed me and fitted the support

iota Fri 21-Sep-07 10:26:36

it was like this

very glam smile

NoviceKnitter Fri 21-Sep-07 10:37:36

Nice! Thanks - so was yours breastfeeding related do you think?

NoviceKnitter Fri 21-Sep-07 18:14:34

Anyone else re breastfeeding link?

iota Fri 21-Sep-07 18:15:56

I had it when I was pregnant and for several months after. I don't think it was related to breast-feeding.

mountaingirl Fri 21-Sep-07 18:58:16

Hi, I had it with my first ds and thought it was due to post natal hormones/weak muscles and the fact that I was straining my wrists always picking him up. I saw an osteopath who treated the wrist that was the most painful and then I wore a support for ages. I've subsequently discovered that carpal tunnel syndrome is also related to (post-natal) hypothyroidism; it may be worth getting tested. I B/f all 3 of my dc but only got this with the first. Good luck.

Highlander Fri 21-Sep-07 19:26:49

i had it with both DSs, although DS1 was much worse. I was also freezing cold ATT. Symptoms dramatically improved at about 10mo with both. Co-incided with them taking 3 meals/day (although still fully BF, at night as well).

vole3 Fri 21-Sep-07 20:47:42

They thought mine was carpal tunnel when I had DS 13 weeks ago, but it turned out to be rheumatoid arthritis instead . Since I've been on the medication (7weeks) and had physio I am much better, but it is only in the last week that I am almost back to where I was before I had the problems.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now