Talk

Advanced search

If you test negative for hpv at smear test...

(5 Posts)
makingmiracles Tue 28-Apr-20 12:10:55

ANd you have a long term partner does that mean I don’t need a smear again unless I change partners in the future?

You can’t catch hpv unless through sexual contact can you? Therefor if I’m in the same relationship in 5-10 yrs my hpv result will be the same yes? ANd they only examine cells if hpv is positive so another smear seems like a waste of time unless with a different partner.
Only thing I can find online is something about going to 5yrly Checks.

OP’s posts: |
RoryGilmoree Tue 28-Apr-20 12:11:59

No there are cervical cancers unrelated to HPV

DDIJ Tue 28-Apr-20 12:17:19

they only examine cells if hpv is positive

This has been my experience. I changed to a different area and I now have no record of smear results because my previous area only looked at the slide if the hpv was positive.

Themostwonderfultimeoftheyear Tue 28-Apr-20 12:27:38

But under the new system Rory those won't be picked up. They will only examine cells for changes if you are HPV positive.

OP I have decided that I will just pay out for a urine HPV test going forward which I can do in the privacy of my own bathroom.

Novelname Tue 28-Apr-20 13:16:52

From what i've read, hpv is only picked up if it is active at the time of the test. It can lie dormant for many years and suddenly activate. It can also be missed. I imagine that is why they test people even with long term partners. Personally I wouldn't risk skipping one for this reason.

Join the discussion

Registering is free, quick, and means you can join in the discussion, watch threads, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Get started »