Calprotectin and gastroentrologist Reading area.

(4 Posts)
GamechangerRanger Mon 30-Dec-19 19:32:43

NC for this. I have an appt to see a gastroentrologist as referred by my GP. This is for stomach problems. I have seen threads mentioning calprotectin tests. Now I'm wondering if the GP should have sent me for one or will the gastro consultant do one instead of an evasive procedure? Also if anyone on here has been to any of the hospitals in Reading (including private as I have the choice under NHS funding) where have they been and did they do a calprotectin test as standard please? Did you think they provided a good service?

OP’s posts: |
LashesZ Mon 30-Dec-19 19:37:24

I work in a gastro dept. It depends on reason for referral but normally we ask GPs to do a calpro as part of the work up so that the gastro consultant can make a decision whether to do direct to test (endoscopy) or outpatient appointment. Your consultant may just send for a calpro and await results as a starting point, it takes less than a week to come back in my Trust.

LashesZ Mon 30-Dec-19 19:38:38

I should add that even with a normal range calpro, depending on symptoms an endoscopy is still required. Calpro only indicates inflammation, imaging is required for a definite diagnosis.

GamechangerRanger Mon 30-Dec-19 19:46:59

Thanks LashesZ guess I'm just hoping to avoid the endoscopy tbh as it sounds painful. Shame the GP didn't request the test first though. Might have saved some time. I'm just going for an initial consultation but got a feeling it's going to be a long road till I'm diagnosed....

OP’s posts: |

Join the discussion

To comment on this thread you need to create a Mumsnet account.

Join Mumsnet

Already have a Mumsnet account? Log in