Snapping thumb - painful - is it arthritis?

(4 Posts)
goose1964 Sun 01-Mar-20 22:23:17

It could be tendonitis, that restricts use of the hand. I get recurring tendonitis on the inside of the thumb and when it flares I have severely restricted movement. Using an NSAID like ibuprofen can work but sometimes you need prescription strength.

ILoveJoeBrown Sun 01-Mar-20 16:10:06

Sorry loveyoutothemoon - didn't respond! Went to GP who diagnosed trigger finger [just in my thumb] - since then I have been wearing a splint in bed occasionally as I often wake up yelling in pain when I knock it [even gently] against a pillow for example, and it bends to 90 degrees, resulting in an agonising pain and the next pain is when I pluck up the courage to straighten it back out!

I can't tear open little plastic sachets or anything where I have to pinch something, but most of the time I manage by using my middle finger and thumb to pinch, as I can keep my thumb straighter than if I pinch using forefinger. If I forget, I get a painful reminder, so learning fast!

I've just been out on my bike for the first time in months and can't actually change gear, as I have to use my thumb! The levers are too stiff. I'm selling the bike now as I also have an e-bike, with push button / lever to change gear up / down, but they don't take much effort to use.

OP’s posts: |
loveyoutothemoon Fri 27-Dec-19 13:14:09

It could be Trigger Finger? The tendon sheath gets inflamed. Try anti-inflammatories for a few days.

ILoveJoeBrown Fri 27-Dec-19 09:14:23

Over last 2 weeks my right thumb seems to be seizing up. If I straighten it, the tendons seem to snap across the knuckle and it's very sore to touch at the bottom. The 'main' knuckles of my right fingers seen a little stiff too but not sore.

I couldn't unscrew a bottle of wine at a xmas do (sad!) and had to get a friend to do it. I can't flush the loo with my right hand without some discomfort and work loos have those horrible big push button flushes and I now have to use 2 hands to push the button in iyswim.

Is this the start of arthritis? I am 56, but my younger sister 53, has suffered from it for some years now. My Mum has bad arthritis too. Looks like it's just my turn?

OP’s posts: |

Join the discussion

To comment on this thread you need to create a Mumsnet account.

Join Mumsnet

Already have a Mumsnet account? Log in