Talk

Advanced search

Mumsnet hasn't checked the qualifications of anyone posting here. If you have medical concerns, please seek medical attention; if you think your problem could be acute, do so immediately. Even qualified doctors can't diagnose over the internet, so do bear that in mind when seeking or giving advice.

Migraine sufferers: anyone got any amusing / awful anecdotes?

(4 Posts)
Bouquetsofdynomite Wed 08-Aug-07 18:07:57

I've had 4 in the last 3wks, quite out of the blue so I feel the need to share the pain! Just thought we could cheer each other up with horrid tales - is there always someone worse off than you or can you prove you've had the worst luck? You know - went through your wedding day with a migraine or something.

womba1 Wed 08-Aug-07 18:17:56

I suffer really badly with tunnel vision and disturbed vision during the midst of a migraine attack. And i only get a migraine when i'm really stressed about something.

So, picture me at the age of 17...waiting to be called for my driving test! I started getting the flashing lights, black slug like creatures crawling across my eye line and i could only see what was directly in front of me.

God knows why, but i didn't want to tell the examiner i couldn't see properly...so, i took the entire test with one eye closed fully and the other, kind of squinting!!

I passed though, and i celebrated by spending 3 days in bed!

AlistairSim Wed 08-Aug-07 18:34:20

I had one a couple of weeks ago.

Never had one with visual disturbances before.

Thought it was pre-eclampsia.

Called midwife in a panic.

Still feel a fool but glad I didn't call an ambulance.

Bouquetsofdynomite Wed 08-Aug-07 20:56:37

Well done Womba1!
I remember having one at school once and while waiting in class for my mum to pick me up I kept jumping out of my skin. Basically my hand and mouth had gone numb and everytime my finger went near my mouth (lifelong nailbiter) it felt like someone else's finger! I also entertained the class repeatedly missing the pencil I was trying to pick up off the floor with tunnel vision.
My sympathetic teacher said he'd once had to take a whole class of rowdy 5th years without revealing the fact he was completely blind with a migraine.

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, watch threads, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now »

Already registered? Log in with: