Talk

Advanced search

Colegate Duraphat 2800

(8 Posts)
tobee Wed 17-Jul-19 16:05:07

Anyone been prescribed this by their dentist?

I was prescribed some by my dentist on Monday following an emergency appointment where over zealous brushing of my gum has exposed a nerve. The resulting pain is triggered by hot and cold food and drink. Seeing dentist again next week and he said it would take a while.

I think I'm feeling a bit better but it's really been getting me down and wondering if anyone else has experience please?

PoPpErS1 Wed 17-Jul-19 16:15:23

I was prescribed this about a year ago for swollen gums. I felt very embarrassed about it. I was on it for 3 months, plus a different brushing technique.

PoPpErS1 Wed 17-Jul-19 16:17:46

Sorry, should have added that I don't remember more sensitivity, although I had sensitive teeth beforehand.

tobee Wed 17-Jul-19 16:33:51

Thanks for the reply.

I'm just fed up with the pain now and get worried to eat.

It was fine to use on day 1 but last night I got a burning sensation for a while. sad

Judystilldreamsofhorses Thu 18-Jul-19 00:42:20

I was prescribed this a couple of years ago when I was clenching my teeth to bits after my DP was made redundant. My understanding was that it’s high fluoride which will strengthen tooth enamel. I usually use Sensodyne and as soon as I was fitted with a mouthguard for the clenching I went back to that.

If my teeth are super-sensitive after a scale and polish I put a blob of Sensodyne on my finger and rub it on my teeth after brushing, on my dentist’s advice, is it worth trying that?

tothesea Thu 18-Jul-19 00:46:52

Durophat completely sorted out my sensitive teeth where all else had failed. I was prescribed two tubes and the pain from hot and cold was gone by the time they were finished.

tobee Thu 18-Jul-19 01:51:29

Thanks for replies. That gives me hope. I've taken to drinking tea and coffee with a straw which helps a bit. The hard thing is otherwise the reaction doesn't come on immediately so I think I've got the temperature ok but then it's agony for about 20 minutes!

soberken Thu 18-Jul-19 02:11:15

Use it all the time! Love it grin

Join the discussion

Registering is free, quick, and means you can join in the discussion, watch threads, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Get started »