We rely on advertising to keep the lights on.

Please consider adding us to your whitelist.

loader

Talk

Advanced search

Mumsnet has not checked the qualifications of anyone posting here. If you have any medical concerns we suggest you consult your GP.

is it 'normal' for ds (age 6) to have a bit of B.O.?

(14 Posts)
frazzledfairy Thu 19-Jul-07 18:45:32

thats it basically, his underarms smell of sweat. i noticed it tues night after he had had a shower, we haven't been washing under his arms with soap because didn't think it was necessary.. so last night when he had a shower dh made sure he did wash really well with soap but today i can still smell it.

i thought he would become sweaty when he was 10 or 11, not at the tender age of 6.

any advice?

frazzledfairy Thu 19-Jul-07 20:25:46

bump! anyone?

filchthemildmanneredjanitor Thu 19-Jul-07 20:26:36

i have a seven year old and he doesn't really smell of anything at all.

maybe something to ask the gp about?

lilolilmanchester Thu 19-Jul-07 20:44:45

My DS is 14 and I remember various conversations with other mums about BO round about yr 6 (10/11), but usually it's older. I'd have a chat with the GP, it won't be anything serious and probably has a simple explanation (like some kids just do!)

Theresa Thu 19-Jul-07 20:56:14

My ds is 5 1/2 and has incredibly smelly pits . He needs a clean top every day, whereas my dd aged 9 can easily get 2 days out of hers. I'm pretty surprised but my dh is also very sweaty so i suppose he gets it from him. Not really worried maybe i should be? Think I might mention it next time we're at docs but (touch wood) we don't go that often!

lilolilmanchester Thu 19-Jul-07 22:11:00

As I said, maybe some kids just do sweat more younger. Hopefully you'll both get more responses from other Mums to put your minds at rest!

CalifrauniusFudge Thu 19-Jul-07 22:14:37

Message withdrawn at poster's request.

LeafTurner Thu 19-Jul-07 22:15:56

My dd is 6.5 and has smelly armpits ! She hasn't noticed but I bought her a stick deodorant (Bionsen) which is nice anmd natural and does the job. She thinks she is grown up having a deodorant like mummy !

They have a hormone surge a6 around 6 I believe - so I hope it is just that !

frazzledfairy Thu 19-Jul-07 22:31:03

yes i think he is having a hormone surge, is very stroppy!

i googled it earlier and it seems it's not a problem unless accompanied bu other symptons of puberty (physical symptoms, don't think stroppyness is included)

i'm not overly worried, just wasn't expecting it!

Skribble Thu 19-Jul-07 22:38:47

I couldn't imagine my sweaty 7yr old DD not washing all over with shower gel. Doesn't need ant pespirant yet though.

Theresa Fri 20-Jul-07 15:01:36

this was mentioned on another thread that I was on. there was mention of anti perspirant and i think people said it wasnt a good idea for anyone so young? may want to check it out?

Furball Fri 20-Jul-07 15:12:25

I would sway towards those crystal deodorants (boots do them) rather than a harsh anti perspirant type thing.

LeafTurner Fri 20-Jul-07 16:26:42

Just to clarify - we saw the GP - who recommended we used a deodorant - quite different from an antiperspirant ! The Bionsen one my dd has is entirely natural - made from seaweed or something like that.

The issue with using anti-persps on kids is the aluminium in them. That is what is not recommended.

Theresa Sat 21-Jul-07 09:43:39

That's interesting LeafTurner, didnt want to cause any offence with my post, i think our school used to have a nurse pop in sometimes for in formal chats, i think may put a note on calendar for when we go back to have a word if she still comes

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now