Advanced search

Mumsnet hasn't checked the qualifications of anyone posting here. If you have medical concerns, please seek medical attention; if you think your problem could be acute, do so immediately. Even qualified doctors can't diagnose over the internet, so do bear that in mind when seeking or giving advice.

Petechiae, Purpura, Swelling in lower legs

(11 Posts)
Rylie09 Tue 10-Oct-17 18:29:12

I stated developing petechiae on my legs below the knees about 6 months ago. They come and go, only once have they been above my knee. Lately the breakouts have gotten larger and my lower legs have started to swell along with them. No pain or sensitivity, just uncomfortable from the swelling. We have had all kinds of blood work done and everything shows as normal. This large one came up over the weekend, my doctor did a biopsy on it yesterday and we are waiting for results. Any helpful information would be much appreciated. Thanks.

Jemimapuddleduk Tue 10-Oct-17 18:31:54

What are your platelet levels like per the blood work? How are you generally health wise, have you been generally under the weather/prone to infection? Please keep pushing if you are concerned and it continues.

Rylie09 Tue 10-Oct-17 19:37:18

All panels were normal and good. No other health problems.

nocoolnamesleft Tue 10-Oct-17 22:06:05

Anything in your urine on dipstick? If you had proteinuria I'd almost wonder about Henoch Schonlein purpura - unusual in adults, but can happen.

Rylie09 Wed 11-Oct-17 02:38:42

Slight amount of protein. Hoping the biopsy reveals something.

TheVanguardSix Wed 11-Oct-17 02:51:32

Have you had an ANA test taken to rule out autoimmune disorders like Lupus?

Have you had swollen glands at all?

TheVanguardSix Wed 11-Oct-17 02:56:47

Arenyou sure your platelet count is normal?

AttilaTheMeerkat Wed 11-Oct-17 08:33:48

I also though HSP (Henoch schonlein purpura) when I saw your leg; DS's started in a very similar manner with petechiae.

In his case he has blood tests done as well but the sole treatment were tablets to keep his kidneys functioning as they should.

Rylie09 Wed 11-Oct-17 17:22:37

Yes and it came back normal. No swelling of the glands. The only swelling that is present is in the lower legs.

Stopyourhavering Thu 12-Oct-17 13:57:14

Ask about screening bloods for immune disease

scaryteacher Thu 12-Oct-17 14:56:15

My legs do that without swelling. It's a sure fire indicator that my platelets are on the low side.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now