Talk

Advanced search

Mumsnet has not checked the qualifications of anyone posting here. If you have any medical concerns we suggest you consult your GP.

Lost sense of taste/smell...

(9 Posts)
Isadora2007 Sat 01-Apr-17 20:05:54

I had a heavy cold back at the start of January. Since then I haven't ever fully regained my sense of smell or taste. I kept thinking "it'll be that cold" but now am 3 months on so I'm worried that actually it's something different... but what?

Anyone experienced anything similar?

BiggerBoatNeeded Sat 01-Apr-17 20:13:24

Have you been using nasal decongestants recently? They can cause loss of sense of smell/taste.

Isadora2007 Sat 01-Apr-17 20:29:30

No. Despite the cold I don't like decongestants at all as they make me so drowsy so I haven't used any at all. The cold itself maybe last 3/4 weeks. Wasn't even that much of a runny nose more throat and some conjunctivitis...

I wish it helped me stop eating but I seem to want to eat until I find something I can taste. Salt seems more tasty than sweet. I couldn't taste my tuna at all today...

Isadora2007 Sat 01-Apr-17 21:48:57

Thank you for the suggestion though biggerboat!

BiggerBoatNeeded Sat 01-Apr-17 22:09:29

I really feel for you. I lost my sense of taste (from using decongestants) and it was miserable. Actually, it's probably the only thing ever that has put me off eating! I'd consider a trip to the dr as it's certainly unusual for it to last that long after a cold.

Isadora2007 Sun 02-Apr-17 00:45:45

I wish it would stop me eating. I even ate chocolate I couldn't taste tonight. Pointless I know...
I will get a gp appt just to check what else it could be... thanks again!

HappyAxolotl Sun 02-Apr-17 01:09:59

They say zinc deficiency can cause loss of sense of smell. Zinc tabs didn't help when I had it though. (but still I was taking the recommended dose so even if it didn't help, it wouldn't harm either).

When my mum had no sense of smell for years her yoga teacher recommended using a netti pot for nasal washing and that did help her a bit.

Isadora2007 Sun 02-Apr-17 10:03:39

Thanks re zinc and I may google a netti pot... sounds a bit scary!

Did you find out what had caused yours? And did it resolve?

I am trying to not overreact as I thought it was just one of these post- cold things. But having now realised how long it's been and having googled... I have half convinced myself I have a brain tumour! 😳

pirsonal Mon 03-Apr-17 15:41:14

OP - do you have asthma by any chance?

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now