Talk

Advanced search

Mumsnet has not checked the qualifications of anyone posting here. If you have any medical concerns we suggest you consult your GP.

Unable to get medication due to legislation change

(24 Posts)
Zara0987 Fri 24-Feb-17 14:51:51

Hiya, just wondering if any of you have come across same situation as I'm at at the moment? I'm 29 weeks pregnant and have been struggling with thrush for past 3 weeks. Have been told by my GP that he is unable to prescribe the canisten duo as it should be purchased from my own money as it's over counter meds and they are no longer being prescribed by GPS. I have been buying it for last 3 weeks but not cleared up and I am due to buy another one but funds just would not allow it at the moment as not been able to work as much and had to cut down on hours due to the pregnancy.

Now if I am unable to afford the treatment £15-£16 per week, I should be left untreated? Seems little wrong in my eyes.

Sure I will manage to come up with the money for it somehow but what would a woman with no such option do?! Feeling very upset , as we have maternity certificate given to us to ensure that we don't have to worry about medical side of expenses sad

gamerchick Fri 24-Feb-17 14:55:13

Are you sure it's thrush? Have swabs been done?

Maybe a visit to the GUM clinic might help you better, they'll be able to point you towards treating it once and for all. It must be costing you a fortune.

You should have enough cream though if you've bought a few. The generic own brand tablet does the job and it's a lot cheaper.

WhatWouldLeslieKnopeDo Fri 24-Feb-17 15:01:29

As gamerchick says, you don't need the branded one. But if you've taken it several times with no effect, you might not have thrush at all. It is probably worth seeing the GP again, or your midwife. There are various other conditions with similar symptoms to thrush.

Zara0987 Fri 24-Feb-17 15:28:45

I've had a swab and few days ago I received the results saying that it's negative for all stds and positive for thrush. It kinda almost goes and then comes back again. Feel frustrated as it's obviously causing me discomfort but now being told that if I can't afford to carry on paying for the creams then it's not the NHS problem. Just feel emotionaly drained and upset as working so hard and have to be extremely organased to ensure everything is paid for , and I usually do well but this has just hit me lil unexpected

gamerchick Fri 24-Feb-17 15:33:23

But you don't need the branded treatment. I'm sure the own brand tablet is about the 4 quid mark.

Have you treated your partner as well in case he's reinfecting you? Mega hot wash for your underwear with an extra rinse? Get a tub of aquinous cream to wash down below with rather than using shower gels or soap or preferably just water.

gamerchick Fri 24-Feb-17 15:34:14

*Aqueous

Stitchfusion Fri 24-Feb-17 15:34:16

This is the future. I saw a lady recently who was worried about her £80 shoes, yet the treatment she was receiving for free from the NHS was costing several thousand pounds. In the near future, she wont be able to afford the shoes as the free heatlhcare we all currently enjoy wont exist. We will have to think about choosing between medication and nail salons, or even food treats, in financial terms.
Hope you get your rash sorted soon.

gamerchick Fri 24-Feb-17 15:35:33

I understand you're upset, thrush is miserable flowers

RedBugMug Fri 24-Feb-17 15:37:24

yes to generics - ask the pharmacist

and yes to prevention
- treat your partner as well
- wash all bedding and underwear hot (at least 60)
- change knickers twice a day

happymumof4crazykids Fri 24-Feb-17 15:38:55

It's annoying isn't especially when other people even get paracetamol or aspirin etc on prescription. I would go back to gp and ask for 1) treatment tell them it isn't clearing up even after you've treated it.
2) further investigations. The swans should have shown which fungus was present and what anti fungal would be best to treat it.
3) a test to rule out diabetes. I had constant thrush from about 17 weeks on my last 2 pregnancies and I had gestational diabetes.

Batteriesallgone Fri 24-Feb-17 15:38:57

Ask the pharmacist for a cheaper non-branded alternative to canisten.

hollinhurst84 Fri 24-Feb-17 15:41:11

Try chemist direct, they sell the generic version online

UnbornMortificado Fri 24-Feb-17 15:41:26

You can get thrush stuff on the minor ailment scheme.

I think it's a bit shitty using it for 16p paracetamol but the thrush stuff is so expensive (even none branded) in my local chemist.

peggyundercrackers Fri 24-Feb-17 15:44:31

there hasn't been a legislation change - GPs can prescribe OTC medicines. your GP is lying to you.

Jayfee Fri 24-Feb-17 15:45:28

off beam i know but have you tried live yogurt?? plus keeping as much ventilation in the thrushy area as your situation allows??

bloodyteenagers Fri 24-Feb-17 15:47:13

Your partner also needs to be treated.

You also realise that you shouldn't be taking the tablet during pregnancy? Maybe this is why the gp won't prescribe it.

WhatWouldLeslieKnopeDo Fri 24-Feb-17 15:48:42

To be honest I've given up using any over the counter treatment for thrush. I just use natural yoghurt. Apply liberally to the area. Seems to help and it's quite soothing. Might be worth a try?

WhatWouldLeslieKnopeDo Fri 24-Feb-17 15:49:24

Oops cross posted with Jayfee

Tobuyornot99 Fri 24-Feb-17 15:50:30

flowers for you. I had thrush form 3 weeks right up until I delivered, it was miserable. I went to the pharmacy every week for a tube of thrush cream and a tube of pile cream, both own brand, cost less than £7. It is miserable, but the NHS has to draw a line somewhere, and it's not just the cost of the meds, but the £70 or so that the GP appointment "costs"

SofiaAmes Fri 24-Feb-17 15:51:41

I always found that the duo didn't work for me. Try just the straight canistan.

UnbornMortificado Fri 24-Feb-17 15:54:27

I think you can take the pessary but not the tablet.

Happy to be corrected but it what I was told last time.

Zara0987 Fri 24-Feb-17 16:18:50

Thank you all for your comments, was told that wasn't allowed to use the tablet just cream and pessary ;) now have sorted another weeks worth so hopefully will clear up will give the yoghurt a go and also mum said she used to suffer with it whlist pregnant with me and she treated it with warm camomile wash,yoghurt and wearing cotton undies with no panty liners(which is my downfall as been using them for past 8 years daily)I take all your comments on board and also understand that the NHS has to draw a line somewhere and didn't protest against it few weeks ago but circumstances can change very quickly and funds can get very tight no matter how hard you work ,but that's life I guess

Batteriesallgone Fri 24-Feb-17 16:20:53

Panty liners daily shock

Yep that sounds like a good culprit. Cotton knickers, change them in the day if you feel the need, but get rid of the panty liners.

befairdontjudge Sat 25-Feb-17 11:58:45

This is NOT a change in legislation it is your CCG trying to save money. Complain tell your GP they are in breach of their GMS Contract if they refuse to prescribe. If they still refuse make a complaint to NHS England.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now