Talk

Advanced search

Mumsnet hasn't checked the qualifications of anyone posting here. If you have medical concerns, please seek medical attention; if you think your problem could be acute, do so immediately. Even qualified doctors can't diagnose over the internet, so do bear that in mind when seeking or giving advice.

Bunion on one foot! 😐

(12 Posts)
mumznet Sun 15-Jan-17 00:16:08

It's not extreme but does hurt sometimes. How do I stop it progressing?

What splint has helped you keep it in place and stopped it from getting worse? I brought expensive ones and cheaper ones but I would like to know which one to buy that does work?
Thanks

languagelearner Sun 15-Jan-17 05:32:17

I had surgery. That did it, although I might sometimes have a bit of pain in the scar tissue. No splint worked for me.

HollyBollyBooBoo Sun 15-Jan-17 06:05:51

You need surgery. Go and see your GP!

blueistheonlycolourwefeel Sun 15-Jan-17 06:51:43

Find out WHY you have the bunion. I had mine operated on years ago but they didn't tell me it's caused by the way I walk, so it's come back!!

FrancisCrawford Sun 15-Jan-17 06:55:45

I'm waiting for an ortho appointment to see about mine. 6 months wait so far without hearing a dickie bird.
good thing I wasn't in agony with them!

mumznet Sun 15-Jan-17 18:55:38

well one reason could be flat feet...the inward pronation due to flat feet is more on this foot...so thats probably why right foot is fine.

i have orthotics but for past few years have not worn regularly.

Hollybollybooboo why do you say I need surgery? mine is at early stage.....

mumznet Sun 15-Jan-17 18:57:43

i have alrwady seen GP and GP will not do surgery unless you have tried everything else....insoles/orthotics...

also personally i would never want to have surgery....risks of surgery are huge!!

as someone mentioned above hers is back so is there a point for the cut (surgery) done on the foot?

FrancisCrawford Sun 15-Jan-17 19:06:55

I have the opposite problem - years of physiology and orthotics when I was a kid made me walk on the outside of my feet. And I have high arches.

In my case it is hereditary.

mumznet Sun 15-Jan-17 19:08:03

hopefully with a big arch you dont have bunions?

mumznet Sun 15-Jan-17 19:08:49

my mum has high arches so I don't know why I have fallen arches...shock

HollyBollyBooBoo Sun 15-Jan-17 21:34:40

Because surgery is the only cure for bunions and generally they only get worse. I am amazed your GP has said that when the NHS guidance is that there is very little evidence that anything can help cure/reverse bunions.

Surgery isn't too horrendous, done under local, off your foot for c.6 weeks, tiny scar.

mumznet Sun 15-Jan-17 22:15:39

hmmm...
thanks

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, watch threads, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now »

Already registered? Log in with: