Talk

Advanced search

Mumsnet has not checked the qualifications of anyone posting here. If you have any medical concerns we suggest you consult your GP.

Are these linear hives? ( pic included)

(14 Posts)
redannie118 Mon 26-Dec-16 20:37:27

Hi guys
Was just about to get in the bath, pulled back my sleeve and saw I had these horrible welts on my arm.No idea where they came from, been wearing a long sleeve jumper all day, and although I have two dogs and have been scratched by them before I've been at my mums all day and not had contact with them. I googled and saw some pics of linear hives which looked very similar , anyone got any experience with them? Will also say my top lip, gums and roof of my mouth are swollen and very sore but I have systemic sclerosis and often have that. Thanks smile

cheesecadet Tue 27-Dec-16 16:24:24

I get these, but not quite as bad and I have suspected lupus and/or APS.

I've been stalking your post hoping someone will reply. How long have you had systemic sclerosis, it's the same as scleroderma isn't it?

cheesecadet Tue 27-Dec-16 16:25:32

I get mine on the tops of my hands mainly. What medication are you on?

Sadik Tue 27-Dec-16 16:32:23

If you run your fingernail across the skin, do you get another weal? I had dermographism for about two years when dd was small. It came on very suddenly (only possible trigger was some non-organic potting compost - I do have a tendency to sudden and extreme reactions), lasted as I say about 2 years then slowly faded away.
If they don't just subside or if you get them again, maybe worth a trip to the GP? Not that there's much they can do, I used to take oral antihistamines if it got really bad which helped a bit, but I think that's about it.

cheesecadet Tue 27-Dec-16 16:45:48

Sadik I've just tried that very lightly on my hand and I've got a clear red line.

Sadik Tue 27-Dec-16 16:53:05

From your photo it does look very like what I used to get, but obviously it could be something completely different . . .

Sadik Tue 27-Dec-16 16:53:56

The only small plus was that I could freak people out by writing messages along my arm with my fingernail <childish emoticon>

Do they itch or have a burning feeling? I have contact urticaria and they look a lot like when I lean against a squared table edge or desk.

redannie118 Tue 27-Dec-16 17:53:40

Hello guys thanks for replying smile .cheese-Yes that's right just another name for scleroderma, was diagnosed last year . As for meds I'm on methotrexate (injections weekly) quinine 500 mgs daily , Nifipedene and lanzoprazole also Naproxen and codine for pain relief. They have gone down quite a bit today but still burn / itching. And no don't get any lines of it run my finger down my skin.

cheesecadet Tue 27-Dec-16 18:15:50

Poor you sad

I'm on 400 hydroxychloroquine and aspirin daily.

Do you have raynaud's?

redannie118 Tue 27-Dec-16 18:35:39

Yeah and Sjorgrens and GERD.all part of the fun !

cheesecadet Tue 27-Dec-16 18:49:49

Me too with the GERD.

You say you usually get a swollen mouth with the condition, could it be an allergic reaction to something? Is your breathing OK? Have you had the hives before?

redannie118 Tue 27-Dec-16 19:37:19

Oh it's miserable isn't it cheese? The swollen sore mouth is down to the Sjorgrens, my mouth dries out so much it gets really sore and sometimes infected. Yes breathing is fine smile

cheesecadet Tue 27-Dec-16 19:58:04

I'm sorry you're suffering. I was too until I started on meds. Glad your breathing is OK. Maybe the hives are due to the scleroderma. I suggest if you're getting new symptoms to see your GP or do you see a rhuematologist?

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now