Advertisement

loader

Talk

Advanced search

Mumsnet has not checked the qualifications of anyone posting here. If you have any medical concerns we suggest you consult your GP.

Partial denture - any positive stories?

(5 Posts)
Bluebell66 Sat 17-Dec-16 14:51:08

After a lot of problems with two of my top molars, I now think I have to resign myself to the fact that they've got to go. This will result in the need for a partial denture.

Does anyone have any success stories or are they a complete nightmare?

I should also point out that I have a severe phobia of the dentist.

TIA

StillMedusa Mon 19-Dec-16 00:51:05

Are they obvious? I am missing a couple at the back and haven't replaced them.. eat fine and no one can see! I lost them due to a dentist removing them unnecessarily before Trigeminal Neuralgia was diagnosed.

I also lost a tooth nearer the front..if I really grin like a cheshire cat it is visible so I am in the process of having a bridge made. I tried a denture but couldn't get on with it (gag factor with a plate!) but am having aMaryland bridge where the false tooth is anchored to nearby teeth. I believe you can have a couple together that way.

I am also dental phobic but the bridge mould was far less bothersome than all the previous treatment!

Bluebell66 Mon 19-Dec-16 07:37:20

Hi Still, thank you for your reply. One of the Teeth is noticeable when I smile widely, one of them isn't, but the corresponding tooth at the bottom is already missing so I'm worried about how I will eat on that side if I just have a big gap.

user1482207275 Tue 20-Dec-16 09:48:06

Hi Bluebell66, I would like to get you know that implants are never a nightmare. I have done my lower partial implants 1 month ago. I haven't been facing any problems since then. I don't have a problem with eating or talking. When you replace missing teeth, eating may feel as a difficult task. Here are some things that can help:
*Begin by eating soft foods cut into small pieces.
*Chew on both sides of the mouth to keep the pressure even.
*Do not eat very sticky or hard foods, and do not chew gum.
The success rate is very high; with proper care, healthy life style and dental hygiene. All the best!

Bluebell66 Tue 20-Dec-16 12:19:56

Thank you User, I'm not going to rush into a decision, I've got another appointment with the dentist at the end of January so should know more then.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now