Talk

Advanced search

Mumsnet has not checked the qualifications of anyone posting here. If you have any medical concerns we suggest you consult your GP.

Cause of haywire periods?

(5 Posts)
SecretMongoose Mon 03-Oct-16 11:00:38

My periods have always been completely and totally regular, 28 days bang on.
Over the last year they've been increasingly random, varying from 21 days to 35 days. Plus sometimes they are barely more than spotting, sometimes normal, sometimes heavy.
I've been to the GP and had blood tested a couple of times for suspected menopause but it always come back normal. Had an ultrasound, also normal.
GPs don't seem particularly interested, but I kind of think there must be a reason behind it? Why would they suddenly go haywire? Any ideas?

NavyandWhite Mon 03-Oct-16 13:50:05

How old are you?

SecretMongoose Mon 03-Oct-16 15:31:58

Early 40s.

NavyandWhite Tue 04-Oct-16 12:13:29

It's probable that you're in the peri menopause and that's why your periods are fluctuating. Do you have any other symptoms? It's good that your blood and scan was normal so at least that gives you some reassurance.

Mine started going strange last year when I was 47... this year I've only had 3 periods but lots of other symptoms like hot flushes, joint pain, brain fog. The joys eh!

SecretMongoose Tue 04-Oct-16 12:38:03

I may have other symptoms but have a few other issues so it's hard to know what they are down to. I have regular joint pains, disturbed sleep, tiredness but have a couple of autoimmune diseases that also cause this sort of thing. Nothing typically menopausal, like hot flushes.
It's a huge pain in the arse because I never know when I'm going to be on my period!

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now