Talk

Advanced search

Mumsnet has not checked the qualifications of anyone posting here. If you have any medical concerns we suggest you consult your GP.

Dental implants

(6 Posts)
Badders123 Tue 06-Sep-16 19:13:36

Earlier this year I ended up losing one of my upper molars.
(Failed failing, then failed root canal)
I had 2 abscesses and the tooth was very painful prior to extraction
Anyway, all healed now but the other molar is now hurting a bit and I'm concerned as it's mostly filling and not much tooth! 😖
I will need something to replace test lost teeth if I end up losing the other one.
How much of a faff is it? Is it very painful?
I know it's hugely expensive and I would have to pay monthly 😞
God, I hate teeth!

puddlejumpingqueen Tue 06-Sep-16 19:22:43

Hey, sorry to hear this happening to you, teeth can be a pain in the arse. I have one dental implant, it cost about £2,500 with a surgical extraction of the original root (my tooth snapped after being hit). It wasn't painful at all. I was given a sedative, don't remember a thing when I came round it was a bit tender (bruising sort of pain) but nothing more. Didn't even need any painkillers.

Upper ones take a lot longer to graft to your jaw so it was a month or so of very soft food and avoiding that side of my mouth. Now it's fine, I eat normally, I can feel it's different if I run my tongue over it (it's smoother) but it looks like a regular tooth.

My dentist was fab, where are you op and I can recommend mine! He talked me through it, several consultations and even rang me that night to check I was ok. Research reviews etc as with any purchase really.

Hope it works out for you!

puddlejumpingqueen Tue 06-Sep-16 19:23:53

Oh sorry forgot to say you can have it done in stages, so I had the titanium implant put in then a few months later had the tooth bit added. This allowed me to spread the cost more and allowed the implant to graft better.

Badders123 Tue 06-Sep-16 19:26:26

In in the East Midlands
Thanks for the info
I'm dreading my next visit!
I wasted £700 on that damn tooth!
Grr

puddlejumpingqueen Tue 06-Sep-16 19:29:31

Oh I dread it every time I have to go, I get so worked up the week before. (I have a health issue that has affected my teeth). I'm near Reading so not much help with recommendations I am afraid.

user1468929072 Sun 02-Oct-16 14:51:28

Message deleted by MNHQ. Here's a link to our Talk Guidelines.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now