Talk

Advanced search

Mumsnet has not checked the qualifications of anyone posting here. If you have any medical concerns we suggest you consult your GP.

Does this burn require medical attention?

(22 Posts)
MoreSnowPlease Wed 10-Aug-16 20:19:23

Removed cling film from a bowl of microwaved dinner and the steam escaped directly onto my finger. It looks like it blistered immediately but the force of the steam burst the blister. The skin is all gathered on one side.

I've run it under cold water, put honey on it and a burn bandage.

Do I need to see a nurse or something? Never really had a burn.

Wigeon Wed 10-Aug-16 20:21:53

I wouldn't see a medical person with a burn that size. Unless it suddenly really hurts, or doesn't seem to be getting better, or looks infected (red, swelling etc).

Have you run it under cold water for ages? If it is still hurting I'd get it back under the tap.

I'd put germolene on it, might put a plaster on it if I thought it needed protecting. And it would probably get better by itself.

Wigeon Wed 10-Aug-16 20:23:01

Why did you put honey on it btw? I wouldn't do that. Here is the official NHS advice about what to do

Orangesox Wed 10-Aug-16 20:23:19

If you're concerned, then call 111 for an assessment. They will likely put you through to a clinician for some advice on how to manage it at home.

Haggisfish Wed 10-Aug-16 20:25:31

I'd wash the honey off with cold water.

LynetteScavo Wed 10-Aug-16 20:25:34

No, you should just keep our very cold - up ice in it if it's still hurting.

I've burnt myself several times, and yes it hurts but you'll be fine.

Fadingmemory Wed 10-Aug-16 20:26:47

Putting on cream only seals in the heat, so rinse it away and keep the finger under the cold tap for 20 minutes. Don't put on any more cream.

booksandcoffee Wed 10-Aug-16 20:28:07

Burns come in varying degrees and it is hard to tell from the photo just how severe yours is. If it is still in pain then you should getit checked. If in doubt still pop to your local drop-in centre or A & E, equally a pharmacist can advise, if you have a late night opening nearby. By the way, I am not a medic, just someone who knows how it feels to get burent. I hope you are not suffering too much. Keep it clean and dressed.

Allalonenow Wed 10-Aug-16 20:29:40

Get a small bowl and fill with cold water, add two or three ice cubes. Sit with your finger immesed in the water all evening. replenish the water and ice at frequent intervals.
I would say the small area of the burn wouldn't need medical attention.

Keep the wound clean with a dressing overnight.

pasbeaucoupdegendarme Wed 10-Aug-16 20:30:34

Lots and lots of cold water, and certainly no honey/butter/germolene or anything else!

They hurt like buggery 😔

MoreSnowPlease Wed 10-Aug-16 20:31:13

Dr Google told me honey works better than creams as it's got all those anti biotic/microbial etc...properties.

It's actually stopped it hurting, which is lovely. Just worried about the skin healing because it's all pushed over and stuck there. And you're not supposed to bust the blister, but the steam did that, so worried that's an issue?

SellFridges Wed 10-Aug-16 20:32:37

I was told you need to see someone if it's bigger than a 50p piece. I burnt myself on pasta sauce once on my leg.

MoreSnowPlease Wed 10-Aug-16 20:34:40

That white stuff isn't cream btw, it's skin bunched up

PurpleDaisies Wed 10-Aug-16 20:35:04

Stay away from doctor Google. Nothing goes on burns apart from cold water. That's it.

It looks small enough not to see a doctor but you can always call 111 for advice. Keep it under cold water until it stops hurting. You can take painkillers if you need to. Don't worry about bunching up healing, the skin will sort itself out (the loose bit will eventually fall off).

Wigeon Wed 10-Aug-16 20:35:15

Get off Dr Google and look at the NHS advice I linked to! Which also says NO ice or iced water - cold or tepid water instead. Also ignore my advice about germolene since the NHS says no creams!

PurpleDaisies Wed 10-Aug-16 20:36:11

Forgot to say, if it starts getting hot, red or crusty you need to see a go for antibiotics. Otherwise just keep it clean.

bettyswalls Wed 10-Aug-16 20:36:13

Honey has been shown to improve healing for second-degree burns in clinical trials, in the form of medicinal honey dressings. Your burn is first-degree. Just keep it cold. After it's cooled down, it's no different to a very minor cut. It'll heal on its own.

Wigeon Wed 10-Aug-16 20:36:57

Re the skin healing - the body (usually) has an amazing way of sorting out healing (on minor injuries!) and so I wouldn't worry that the steam burst the blister, or that the skin is bunched up.

youarenotkiddingme Wed 10-Aug-16 20:38:14

Best thing. Run under running water for 15-20 minutes.

Advice to seek medical assistance is a blister bigger than the size of a 50p piece.

You can buy special burn plasters from a chemist that carry a cooling gel which may help because it's hard to keep finger tips away from heat whilst it heals.

Haggisfish Wed 10-Aug-16 20:39:27

Yes, no ice or you might end up with frost bite!

gamerchick Wed 10-Aug-16 20:39:44

Just keep the air off it for a couple of days. Cling film and a plaster, replace in 24 hours. Day 3 take everything off at bedtime and put a plaster on for during the day and take off at night. That's all I do aside from I DO use germoline after 24 hours.

MoreSnowPlease Wed 10-Aug-16 20:40:29

Ok thanks all!! I did run it under cold water for a while but 4&2 year olds still awake and I can't keep doing it. The honey has really helped to be fair

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now