Advanced search

Mumsnet has not checked the qualifications of anyone posting here. If you have any medical concerns we suggest you consult your GP.

What kind of therapist do I need?

(6 Posts)
Chorltonswheelies422 Sun 15-May-16 17:47:00

So I split up with my oh a few weeks ago, and have been mulling stuff over. All relationships (family/friends) really don't seem to go right for me either now I stop to think of it. I can't help thinking that I've got stuck somewhere because of something and because I don't know what it is, I can't improve things.

I desperately want to be happy and fulfilled and I want a happy relationship and more children - I feel some sort of therapy might be useful but don't know where to start

Fourormore Sun 15-May-16 17:50:39

A psychodynamic therapist would be good for looking at repeating patterns of relationships not working out. A humanistic therapist will be more focused on you as you are now than on your past. Ultimately, the best indicator of success is how well you can engage with the therapist. Have a look on the BACP or UKCP find a therapist pages and perhaps have an introductory sessions with 3 different therapists to get a feel for what works for you.

Chorltonswheelies422 Sun 15-May-16 17:52:26

Thank you so much Four

littlejo67 Mon 16-May-16 11:48:17

If you have anxiety or depression you can go to the primary care mental health service your GP surgery uses.

WhoAteAllTheDinosaurs Tue 17-May-16 11:33:49

Agree with Fourormore - the most important thing about therapy is the relationship between you and your therapist. It is more important than the modality. I tend to prefer person-centred therapists because the focus is all on the relationship, and the belief that I know what hurts, buy that is a personal view. There us nothing wrong with trying a few out to see what fits with you, and it may not be what you were expecting, so keep an open mind!

WhoAteAllTheDinosaurs Tue 17-May-16 11:38:11

Often a GP will refer to IAPT, who may have a long waiting list and may only give 6 sessions. It's not always suitable for everyone.

If you look privately, make sure they are well-qualified (diploma level or above) and are a BACP member or BACP accredited. Then you know they have reached a certain level of qualification. Unfortunately counsellor is not a protected term, so anyone can call themselves a counsellor. So by going through the BACP you can be assured that they have had appropriate training.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now