Talk

Advanced search

Mumsnet has not checked the qualifications of anyone posting here. If you have any medical concerns we suggest you consult your GP.

recovery post surgery

(9 Posts)
kosh71 Tue 10-May-16 10:55:23

I had surgery on Friday for a massive lipoma on my left hip. I was in theater for >1hr and was discharged the next day. I am a bit sore and feel weak.

I know this is silly question but how long should I take off work? I do 50/50 office and lab based work, nothing strenuous, but it is always very hectic and I hardly stop all day. I really do not feel like going in, and in fact there is plenty of work I can do from home, but I was a bit surprised that my boss (who is a clinician) assumed I'd be in today.
When I ask the consultant he said a couple of days, but the nurses suggested 2 weeks?
Any experiences? I guess the question is - are you supposed to move around/work even if it hurts or you have to wait until you are 100% your normal self?
Thanks!

massivearse Tue 10-May-16 10:59:26

I had a dupuytrens removed from my right hand last year and had a fortnight off (physio recommendation). Seemed a tad excessive towards the end but I was wiped out for the first two or three days fo sho. Take the fortnight.

CMOTDibbler Tue 10-May-16 11:05:08

You don't have to wait till you are 100%, but I think you def need to rest a while more. IMO nurses tend to have a more realistic idea of how long you'll need to recover than consultants.
See how you, and your wound feel by the end of the week

kosh71 Tue 10-May-16 17:16:23

many thanks ladies
yes I too got the impression I should trust nurses' advise...

Tbonesteak Tue 10-May-16 17:24:51

Hi Kosh,
I'm a nurse myself and I'd say depends largely on the post op wound and how quickly it heals - obviously you need to go back when you feel ready though, some people take longer than others smile

kosh71 Tue 10-May-16 17:36:08

Thanks Tbonesteak
The wound definitely still feels sore and I am very careful not to do any brisk movements, but I can tell I am on the mend!
Do not why I am so confused re. how long to take? blush I think it was my boss' comments...

Tbonesteak Tue 10-May-16 20:00:14

Take as long as you need, if your bodies telling you it's not quite ready then listen to it and definitely wait til the wounds better X

gingeroots Tue 10-May-16 20:48:22

kosh if you're like me you need someone to be very clear that you need to be off for a certain time .
It can be easy to push yourself too much but if it's a big wound ( sounds like it is ) then honestly don't overdo things ,it might mean an infection or more stiches .

Perhaps your boss doesn't quite understand what you've had done or how large it was ?

Take it easy ,your body will thank you and heal faster .

kosh71 Wed 11-May-16 11:48:32

exactly gingeroots!

thanks everyone - I'll take it easy

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now