Talk

Advanced search

Mumsnet has not checked the qualifications of anyone posting here. If you have any medical concerns we suggest you consult your GP.

Reflux, GORD and H Pylori any advice

(5 Posts)
lalamumto3 Wed 20-Apr-16 19:16:31

I have had GORD symptoms since the end of January. Not really heartburn, but nausea, feeling of a lump in my throat that goes away when I eat, back pain between my shoulder blades and feeling really lethargic.
I tried to self treat for a couple of weeks with gaviscon, but when it did not go away had a telephone appt with my GP who prescribed Omeprazole 20mg, after 6 weeks was a bit better but still there so went back saw GP, she referred me to a consultant.
The consultant thinks its dietary, I am BMI 26, have a very healthy diet, non smoker, drink 1 to 2 units of wine a week max. I have an Endosopy booked for this week.
I have cut out all wine, (last glass of fizz made me feel ill for 2 days), no other alcohol, tea, coffee, dairy, chocolate, sweets, cakes, wheat, red meat. Feel a lot better but still not right.
Any one had this and can offer advice. If you had H Pylori was there any food which made it worse? Also does anyone know how long it will take to get biopsy results for H Pylori ? I could not do a stool sample as was already on Omeprazole when I saw the GP the second time.
Any hints or tips welcome.

bluebelle2662 Fri 22-Apr-16 15:23:29

If they suspect h pylori they will give you the treatment regardless. I hope the endoscopy is helpful. Sorry this isn't much, not on my a game at the moment!

misspym Fri 22-Apr-16 15:30:59

I had H. pylori in my twenties. I can state for certainty that cider and curry late at night does not help, at all grin

I had a blood test I think ( was long ago now) and did a triple therapy of 2 antibiotics plus omeprazole or similar.

It really worked.

At the time I couldn't eat any citrus fruit, tomatoes or any spicy food.

Once I took the medication I would eat anything without symptoms (even late night curry after cider consumptions wink

Jbck Fri 22-Apr-16 15:37:59

I had blood test and got results in usual 7 days, it was negative. My flare ups were very ocassional and didn't seem to be diet related. 3 years on, meds not working as well so Im now going for endoscopy next week.

lalamumto3 Fri 22-Apr-16 16:57:43

Thanks for all your comments. I had my endoscopy yesterday, the consultant was happy with it and did not see anything, they biopsied for H Pylori etc, but as I am on Omeprazole , I could get a false negative. He did not think that I have H Pylori, as no ulcers.

The endoscopy was done with sedation and I was really worried about it but it was fine and I can't remember much about it.

I am seeing him in a couple of weeks and am going to start a food diary in the mean time.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now