Talk

Advanced search

Mumsnet has not checked the qualifications of anyone posting here. If you have any medical concerns we suggest you consult your GP.

BV and probiotics

(4 Posts)
WallToWallBastards Thu 31-Mar-16 20:13:26

I was given a week of antibiotics for quite mild BV which naturally the day I finished the course exploded horribly. Although I have had this before, I suspect it had come as a result of ongoing bleeding and sanitary towel use since December. I had a box of 7 BV Activ gel thingies. Are probiotics worth it? I've seen silly expensive canesten probiotics in boots which at £15+ I can't afford particularly. I have seen slightly more pricey probiotics in Holland and Barrett and various others online. I bought a tub of Optibac probiotics but have seen some specifically for vaginal health. I've also bought some yoghurt drinks. Are the supplements a waste of money? Do they work and should they be used daily/weekly etc? I would enormously appreciate any suggestions or experience that can be offered.

redstrawberries101 Sat 09-Apr-16 09:44:50

Hi - hope you are doing ok. I take probiotics because I often suffer from thrush and it's so uncomfortable. Probiotics have defo helped me. I was recommended gisol by Nutri through a practitioner and it has really helped. You can buy on Amazon or direct through Nutri.

My practitioner told me the boots ones weren't as strong and 'Pure' and rightly so I tried both boots own brand and Nutri and preferred the gisol.

redstrawberries101 Sat 09-Apr-16 09:45:50

30 caps gisol are about £9. You just take daily. Can increase to two if you feel you need it.

donajimena Sat 09-Apr-16 09:47:24

I used to get a lot of BV when I had the coil. The best 'cure' was the metronidazole pessaries rather than the oral course

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now