Talk

Advanced search

Mumsnet has not checked the qualifications of anyone posting here. If you have any medical concerns we suggest you consult your GP.

Do you take pain killers for period pain?

(22 Posts)
AimUnder Sat 26-Mar-16 21:05:47

I just wanted to run a quick poll type question:

Do you take pain killers for period pain?

- Yes
- No, but I do get pain
- No, I don't get pain

Thanks smile

SoupDragon Sat 26-Mar-16 21:06:34

Why?

NovaArt3mis Sat 26-Mar-16 21:07:49

No, but I do get pain.

I suffer from migraines/headaches so purposely try to only take painkillers for them (which is quite often).

AimUnder Sat 26-Mar-16 21:10:52

I'm curious! I get a lot of pain and so do most of my siblings and friends. But I don't hear much about period pain elsewhere or even on MN.

whatdoIget Sat 26-Mar-16 21:14:43

I don't usually get it or only get it slightly and it only lasts s few seconds. If I get worse pain that lasts, I take painkillers

WiseToTheLies Sat 26-Mar-16 21:16:15

God yes. They're agony, especially now Im older. The pain goes all down my thighs too and I couldnt go to work without taking something.

AuntieStella Sat 26-Mar-16 21:17:16

Now perimenopausal, but a I used to have horrible period pain (undiagnosed endometriosis for quite some time).

The only thing that touched it was prescription strength NSAIDs or aspirin/codeine.

MrsBertMacklin Sat 26-Mar-16 21:17:45

Yes, for the awful headache I get the day before my period starts. Hot water bottle for the actual cramping.

JasperDamerel Sat 26-Mar-16 21:19:19

If it hurts enough for me to want painkillers then I take painkillers. I don't usually get bad pains these days but when I was a teenager and in my early twenties they were pretty dreadful. My entire first stage of labour and transition with DC1 hurt less than my teenage period pains.

Hiddlesnake Sat 26-Mar-16 21:20:25

I get terrible cramps, like early labour. I use naproxen.
I also get ovulation pain too, but obviously that is not as severe.

Flossieflower01 Sat 26-Mar-16 21:21:27

Yes- 30 or 60mg codeine!

Freezingwinter Sat 26-Mar-16 21:22:22

God yes, I think I probably take too many too. But I hate hate hate period pain. I could deal with it on its own but accompanied with the crippling back/bum ache, feeling sick, headache, general shittiness, I just count down the hours till it passes (1.5 days usually!)

lljkk Sat 26-Mar-16 21:38:14

Mostly Don't-Get-Pain, Maybe one dose of OTC painkillers about once a year.
Was much worse, or entirely painfree, at times in past. I've had 36 yrs of periods, sheesh!

LittleRedSparke Sat 26-Mar-16 21:45:44

why do you want to know??

If i am in pain, i take pain killers

Tanfastic Sat 26-Mar-16 21:46:29

The first couple of days I get that awful dragging feeling and I usually take ibuprofen or paracetamol which sorts it out.

artisanroast Sat 26-Mar-16 21:54:18

I had very heavy periods. I took ibuprofen but when I went to see my GP they prescribed tranexamic acid and mefenamic acid to reduce the blood loss and pain.

wavingnow Sat 26-Mar-16 21:59:42

Used to for years eventually symptoms changed so painkillers not needed now.

balancingfigure Sat 26-Mar-16 22:23:03

Yes when I need to. Not every month, perhaps every other. Like others the severity of the pain varies with time. At one point the pain was so bad I was sick and the GP prescribed the pill to ease. Don't know if they still do that.

Have had times when very little pain for a year or so but now back to moderate to bad!

JolieMadame Sat 26-Mar-16 23:00:37

Yes, it's agony.

Cramps and horrible nausea. If I didn't take painkillers I'd be rendered incapable

littlejolee Fri 01-Apr-16 16:35:07

Yes when I had them, was taking naproxen and codiene together for four days every month about six months after they first started (aged 11) I'm on hc now so don't get them as gp didn't want me taking such strong painkillers all the time and they didn't get better after baby (gyno I know suspects endo and I'm inclined to agree, I got horrible spams right down my legs in my back in my entire abdomen, very bloated and sore right up to my ribcage, lost loads of blood etc. It was bloody grim. Thank god for modern medicine smile)

Badders123 Fri 01-Apr-16 18:56:35

Yes
Every month
Varies as to level of pain
So sometimes just paracetamol, sometimes stronger stuff

SuperFlyHigh Fri 01-Apr-16 21:15:05

Yes I used to get awful cramps and Feminax would be the only remedy to help it, at 44 it's eased a bit. Also mittelshmerz (ovaluation) which has had me doubled over and nothing helps.... Scans all come back normal! YOW!

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now