Talk

Advanced search

Mumsnet has not checked the qualifications of anyone posting here. If you have any medical concerns we suggest you consult your GP.

could someone explain what no ldl means

(5 Posts)
LaurieFairyCake Thu 24-Mar-16 18:04:43

I've just been to the doc and they're repeating a blood test as I have very low ldl cholesterol and over 7 hdl - he says the gaps very bad hmm
And he talked about statins

I'm not googling as I don't do that for health things - could someone provide a very simple, for total idiots explanation

LaurieFairyCake Thu 24-Mar-16 18:05:04

He basically says I had no ldl at all

OzzieFem Thu 24-Mar-16 19:45:43

Are you sure you have that correct? Cholesterol which causes blocked arteries comes in two forms, high density lipids (HDL) and low density lipids (LDL).

I could understand his concern if your LDL was 7 and your HDL was non-existent.

BlushingBrightly Thu 24-Mar-16 19:52:32

I could be wrong and have someone else in mind, but I thought you were a HCP?

Did you ask the GP to explain or was his explanation just not very good? It's good cholesterol vs bad cholesterol I thought. If you have high levels of both think they cancel each other out so that's why the gap going the wrong way is an issue.

LaurieFairyCake Thu 24-Mar-16 21:17:19

No I'm not sure I have it correct, I couldn't hear it properly - one was 2.1 and one was 7.6 and I thought he said the hdl was the high one

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now