Talk

Advanced search

Mumsnet has not checked the qualifications of anyone posting here. If you have any medical concerns we suggest you consult your GP.

exercise asthma

(6 Posts)
lamusic Tue 22-Mar-16 17:32:49

Hello, I've been wondering lately if my daughter has exercise induced asthma. She is a dancer and complains of a tight, sore chest and a cough when dancing. She also says that's sometimes she'll breathe in and not get any relief from it. She is not overweight and eats a reasonable balanced diet. Is this asthma?

IndomitabIe Tue 22-Mar-16 17:39:48

Could be. Asthma's a common thing but very complex. It's more of an umbrella term.

I have asthma, exercise is the only thing that triggers attacks. (But this means it's easily controlled as it's largely predictable).

See the doctor. It's not worth messing when it comes to lungs!

lamusic Wed 23-Mar-16 07:35:25

Thank you! I think I will get her checked out. BUMP for any more thoughts/opinions smile

littlejolee Fri 01-Apr-16 16:44:40

Quite possibly, I have exercise induced asthma, suspected it and went to go, described my symptoms (and history of childhood asthma) and he gave me a prescription for ventolin to take before exercise, worked a treat, now my legs before my chest when I run, success! smile

Natsku Fri 01-Apr-16 16:53:03

Could be, tight chest and a cough are good signs (well not good, but you know what I mean). Get her tested (and they will have to test specifically for exercise-induced instead of just doing the two weeks of peak flow monitoring that they often do to diagnose)

lamusic Fri 01-Apr-16 19:03:11

Thanks. I had just put it down to a recent cough/ first class of the season. But it's still happening so will defo get it checked out

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now