Talk

Advanced search

Mumsnet has not checked the qualifications of anyone posting here. If you have any medical concerns we suggest you consult your GP.

Intolerable face sweats from eating. :(

(24 Posts)
shiteforbrains Mon 07-Mar-16 20:58:43

Message withdrawn at poster's request.

shiteforbrains Mon 07-Mar-16 21:24:03

Mrsmorton Mon 07-Mar-16 21:27:23

Tyramine sensitivity? One of my nurses had it but I know nothing else about it.

I'm sure gustatory sweating was something that our oral medicine department dealt with. Their consultants are usually Drs and dentists doubly qualified. Your dentist can refer you if your GP is less helpful.

shiteforbrains Mon 07-Mar-16 21:30:22

ShesGotLionsInHerHeart Mon 07-Mar-16 21:37:36

I had a similar problem, although it wasn't caused by eating, which acupuncture has cured.

shiteforbrains Mon 07-Mar-16 21:40:09

ShesGotLionsInHerHeart Mon 07-Mar-16 21:46:03

Seriously, it changed my life. The relief was just immense.

shiteforbrains Mon 07-Mar-16 21:52:56

Redroses11 Mon 07-Mar-16 21:57:32

Gosh that sounds tough. Would it be something related to metabolism?

Redroses11 Mon 07-Mar-16 22:04:50

I suffer a lot with night sweats. I sometimes have to change clothes as they are soaked through.

If you think about sweating, it's your body's way of cooling down, so it's almost like you're overheating! Are you very thin?

Bunbaker Mon 07-Mar-16 22:07:19

"I suffer a lot with night sweats. I sometimes have to change clothes as they are soaked through."

You really should see a GP about that.

Redroses11 Mon 07-Mar-16 22:09:36

Yes I have, they usually test for infection and I have will have mild symptoms of infection in urine so they tell me it's my body fighting infection! grin

Redroses11 Mon 07-Mar-16 22:11:38

Come to think of it, GP prescribed me antibiotics a few weeks ago (not related to night sweats) and I haven't had them since. hmm

shiteforbrains Mon 07-Mar-16 22:12:42

Redroses11 Mon 07-Mar-16 22:18:42

It sounds very odd and annoying! Any chance you could change GP? Also, reading back, you mention bipolar; are you on meds for that? Could it possibly be a side-effect? To be honest, if you're getting nowhere with current GP, get a new GP and ask for a referral. Another poster suggested that your dentist could refer you.

shiteforbrains Mon 07-Mar-16 22:29:50

ShesGotLionsInHerHeart Tue 08-Mar-16 07:18:06

Oh, the night sweats!! Horrible to wake up freezing and soaking. Really feel for you OP. Hope you get it sorted out.

shiteforbrains Tue 08-Mar-16 20:20:22

building2016 Tue 08-Mar-16 20:39:59

My (lay woman's) understanding of the gustatory sweating thing (when linked with complications of diabetes) is that it is your autonomic nervous system which is not properly regulated. So various deep nerves (not peripheral nerves) are out of whack. Digestion, sweating, balance, all sorts.

80schild Tue 08-Mar-16 21:00:12

I thought nervous system as well. Your symptoms remind me of a client I once had that had a similar problem, although it was in her hands (poor woman had severely sweaty hands all day). I suggest you eat something a couple of hours before so she can see the effects.

Tanfastic Tue 08-Mar-16 22:20:51

OP, I'm not sure I can be if any help but I definitely think you should ask your GP for a referral to a consultant. Unfortunately in my experience GP's aren't great when it comes to something unusual like this.

I had a similar - ish problem quite a few years ago now but it was my hands that were profusely sweating all day long, be it summer or minus zero degrees. I would also blush really easily and get that awful red blotchy rash all over my chest when I got anxious although I could have put up with that, it was my hands that affected my life. They would literally drip all the time.

It took a couple of gp's before one that would refer me and eventually I got put on the list for an operation called a cervical sympathectomy. This is where they severed the nerve in my chest that sends the messages to my brain (or hands?) to tell them to sweat. The same nerve controlled blushing. I had it done on both sides at the same time. It literally changed my life. My hands no longer sweat and no matter how anxious or embarrassed I feel my face does not blush in the slightest!

Maybe there is a similar operation for facial sweating I.e another nerve that would need to be operated on.

shiteforbrains Wed 09-Mar-16 09:46:44

Backingvocals Wed 09-Mar-16 15:11:40

I have no useful advice but wanted to wish you luck for the GP - it sounds absolutely awful and I certainly think you should push for a referral to someone who can advise. I'm amazed you've put up with it this long without any decent advice so hope you get some progress when you get to see the GP.

shiteforbrains Wed 09-Mar-16 20:54:42

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now