Talk

Advanced search

Mumsnet has not checked the qualifications of anyone posting here. If you have any medical concerns we suggest you consult your GP.

Removal of Mirena after 10 years

(5 Posts)
Kazzabob Mon 14-Dec-15 21:52:00

Hi - I've had my Mirena for almost 9 years - my husband had a vasectomy about 4 years ago. At that point I went into the docs to get Mirena removed but my last doctor said there was no hurry to have it taken out if I was having no issues - which I wasn't and still don't seem to be. I get very slight spotting but nothing more. Question is should I have it removed altogether? Removed and replaced? Leave it be? I haven't had a period for almost 12 years as had my two children close together. Any experience/thoughts/advice? Thanks

allypally999 Tue 15-Dec-15 14:30:36

I thought they were supposed to be removed/replaced after 5 years? Maybe you have a different version to me. I'd go with the "if it ain't broke don't fix it" attitude your GP is taking.

HeyMacWey Tue 15-Dec-15 14:35:34

Odd that your periods haven't come back. Do you think you could have gone through the menopause?
I'd want it out tbh. I wouldn't want a foreign object in my body for no reason.

Kazzabob Tue 15-Dec-15 14:47:46

I actually went for a health check at the docs today and asked - she's doing lots of blood work for hormones amongst other things and says I should have it taken out. I'm only 43 so would be surprised if been through the menopause already - but I would have thought I should be getting periods by now as its well over the 5 years it's licensed for. Any else not get periods after this length of time?

Mirena9yrs Sun 07-Aug-16 15:52:18

I'm 34 years old and have had my Mirena just over 9 years and 1 month now. No periods in that time though I spotted for 3 days in January in my 7th year. I have the device mainly to manage pain from endometriosis which for me, works exceptionally well. The string has migrated which the Dr's are not worried about, just means for me it will need a procedure to remove. My Dr said as it's still working, leave it be. I wonder if anyone has kept one more than 10 years?

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now