Advanced search

Mumsnet hasn't checked the qualifications of anyone posting here. If you have medical concerns, please seek medical attention; if you think your problem could be acute, do so immediately. Even qualified doctors can't diagnose over the internet, so do bear that in mind when seeking or giving advice.

Contact lense got stuck in my eye!

(7 Posts)
Jelly101 Wed 09-Dec-15 15:55:51

This happened this morning. I managed to prise it out, but it has been difficult to open my eye at all since and it has quite a bit of gunk leaking from it. My eye has continued to water ever since and is really sensitive to light. Also, as a result, I now have a migraine.

I've tried putting a patch over it but the pain doesn't seem to have eased. I also have a 7 month old to look after. Should I just ride it out or go to the walk in centre? Or is there anything I could try at home to help the pain. I usually wouldn't bother tbh, but the pain has got worse.

I don't really want to waste anyone's time though, and there isn't anyone to look after my DS as my partners at work. So should I just leave it and try and stick it out at home?

JarethTheGoblinKing Wed 09-Dec-15 15:59:46

Not sure leaving it is a good idea.

This happened to me, and I went to my optician, who said I'd scratched my cornea and they sent me to the eye hospital nearby. An optician would probably be able to advise you better than out of hours, I would think.

TondelayaDellaVentamiglia Wed 09-Dec-15 16:04:44

i'd go to Minor Injuries, or your local optician if you can before they close...also somewhere bigger rather than smaller, they will be more likely to be able to squeeze you in

It's very likely you have managed to scratch your cornea, so you may need anti biotic drops. TBH an opticians would be best as they'll be able to look at the front of your eye with a slit lamp, and properly check for damage, and some Optometrists can prescribe.

ImtheChristmasCarcass Wed 09-Dec-15 16:09:04

I agree, see a doctor or clinic.

I've had this happen when my eye has gotten dry. I find that if I lay on my back and 'flood' my eye with contact solution or optical grade saline it rehydrates the lens and you can remove it as usual.

If that doesn't work, never try to 'pry' it off. Call an optometrist or optician or visit a clinic.

maggiso Wed 09-Dec-15 18:13:09

Agree - eye casualty or optometrist with independent prescribing certificate. Our local minor injury unit will not see eye problems and sends every one to the eye unit.

Jelly101 Wed 09-Dec-15 19:25:22

Thanks everyone, I have seen someone now. Turns out a part of my contact lense had torn and this was still stuck in my eye.

This has caused a corneal abrasion, and I have been given some eye antibiotics to clear this up. The pain has eased quite a bit (thankfully).

Thank you for your replies, otherwise I'd probably still be at home and in pain smile

TondelayaDellaVentamiglia Wed 09-Dec-15 19:29:50

glad it's more comfortable!

if it is the tube of gel/ointment type antibs then keep it tucked in your bra for half an hour or so before you need to use it, otherwise it's a bugger to squeeze out.

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, watch threads, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now »

Already registered? Log in with: