Talk

Advanced search

Mumsnet hasn't checked the qualifications of anyone posting here. If you have medical concerns, please seek medical attention; if you think your problem could be acute, do so immediately. Even qualified doctors can't diagnose over the internet, so do bear that in mind when seeking or giving advice.

Fish Oils - which product is best?

(11 Posts)
nmd Fri 14-May-04 11:06:36

Can anyone help me choose a fish oil supplement please? DD1 (nearly 6) has concentration problems in school so I started her on Haliborange High Concentration + vitamins a/c/d/e. She's not keen on it but I read a review by a child recently suggesting it's the best of a fairly yukky bunch. Someone at school then suggested capsules and recommended efalex which is certainly expensive enough to make you think it might work, but when I compared ingredients the DHA & EPA content were both lower in efalex, but it included evening primrose oil. The Haliborange version also now does capsules, but they're also lower in DHA/EPA than the liquid. I just don't know what's important in this stuff - help!!

robinw Fri 14-May-04 11:11:37

message withdrawn

gothicmama Fri 14-May-04 11:26:59

We use flora margarine as it contains fish oils in a veggie friendly form and is not a tablet or cpaule and doesnot taste of medicine although it is probable not a large dose

gloworm Fri 14-May-04 11:58:58

i think eskimo oil is the best fish oil, there are a few threads on fish oil, have found one of them

fish oil thread
its quite long, but quite a lot of info on it.

Solgar Kangavites have just won an award as the best kids multivitamin and mineral. they have no artifical rubbish in them, they have more vits/minerals in them than all the mass-marketed brands and have much higher levels of everything kids need.
Plus they taste great.

nmd Fri 14-May-04 18:58:00

thanks very much gloworm, will try to get hold of some eskimo kids liquid asap!

froot Fri 14-May-04 19:31:19

message withdrawn

froot Fri 14-May-04 19:33:59

message withdrawn

SecondhandRose Sat 15-May-04 08:13:47

I buy the Omega 3 eggs from M&S or you can get them in Tesco and probably in other supermarkets.

roisin Sat 15-May-04 08:42:36

We use the ISO Omega 3 with salmon oil. They are big capsules (1000 mg = one a day: 150mg EPA, 120mg DHA). My boys swallow them with no problems at all (though we did start on smaller eye-Q ones). Cost only £7.20 for 120 capsules, (i.e. much, much cheaper than Eye-Q). Currently on special offer 150 for the price of 120.

you can get them from here

shrub Sat 15-May-04 09:03:34

morepa from www.healthyandessential.com are excellent - real strawberry flavour too

nmd Sun 16-May-04 21:42:44

Thanks very much - maybe I should start with the strawberry flavour & build up to eskimo oil!

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, watch threads, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now »

Already registered? Log in with: